Smoked Boston Butt - Firefighter Style

My SIL Rhea and her FFB (firefighter boyfriend) Shane invited us over for a smoked pork dinner. Wow. It's made us realize - we need a smoker!

Shane took two good sized Boston butt roasts and used Bad Byron's Butt Rub.

By the way, this particular brand of butt rub is notorious as it closed down an airport in Tallahassee Florida. See article here.




Some Sweet Baby Ray's hickory and brown sugar BBQ sauce, garlic power and an assortment of other things deemed delicious seasonings.




I am so very sorry to have not gotten a photo of Shane tending the smoker and my beautiful SIL assisting him with the removal of the smoked bostons. Lazy me... checking email... or reading...what can I say.......

Here is one roast after an intial cutting.........






Slice it up...........



Serve with homemade baked beans...........



And one of the best casseroles my FIL has ever made....cheese and sausage grits casserole........



This wasn't my plate....honest. But look......smoked pork with coleslaw, baked beans and grits casserole....wow!



A tribute to the chef - FFB Shane



Thanks Shane and Rhea for providing and cooking dinner. It was exceptionally good. Perfect for rounding out the end-of-summer meals.

Can you believe it's September already?!

10 comments:

girlichef said...

Awesome!! Nuttin' like a good butt :) Seriously, this looks soooo great...and hilarious about Todd Coleman (love Saveur)...probably not too hilarious for him, but(t)...ha ha ha. Delicious :)

Cathy said...

hahhahaha - any time you get a good butt rub you know you are in for a great night ;) Looks great!

Wandering Coyote said...

No, I cannot believe it's Sept. already!

I'd kill for a smoker, but alas, 'tis not in the budget.

I could so use some good Southern cookin'!

Pierce said...

This was the first time I had tried the butt rub. And I didn't even cook that day...how cool is that?

A smoker is always on our list of items to acquire but...something always comes up. Like very expensive car maintenence.

That was a cool story about the airport closing. Terrorist indeed.....

Le laquet said...

Butt rub?!? Lol! That looks like sublme comfort food - yum!

~~louise~~ said...

Ok, so that butt looks sinfully delicious.

I too am waiting patiently to buy a smoker. This post just may nudge me along a bit. I mean really, I need a smoker! Great sides, GREAT post!!!

A World in a PAN said...

I love baked beans ... can we have the recipe?

Pierce said...

Jo! You're back....I want to see many photos and hear about France. Is butt rub available in England?

Thank you Louise! A smoker is on our "wanna get" list as well. I have heard they don't perform as well in the cold so we may put that purchase off until next Spring.

Laura - you most certainly can have that recipe. I'll ask the particulars from the chef of the day.

Janel said...

I used Butt Rub on my roasted potatoes last night. Fantastic! I should have made two pans full!!

Pierce said...

Janel - that sounds great - I have to try that too. We did roasted veggies last night but I used olive oil and maple syrup.

Lime and Ginger Salmon with Coconut Rice

The word stalker tends to bring up alarming images so it's probably good not describe yourself as such.  But I have to say, stalking a g...