Sunday, September 30, 2012

Cooking Light, Forgive me! I love Penne with Sausage, Eggplant and Feta

I used to think Cooking Light magazine had nothing but diet sort of recipes. Small portions of lettuce and carrots and a minuscule serving of meat. Wrong. I am wrong, and I apologize for my preconceived ideas about Cooking Light publications.




Fact is, I have picked up a copy of the magazine here and there and we've enjoyed the recipes tried so far. Then I saw one of their cookbooks at my local library featuring pasta. I love pasta! So many ear marked pages to try in this book but....starting with this one here.....I am guessing you will see more pasta dishes featured on this humble website.

Prep time and a few of my favorites. Eggplant. Garlic. Wine. Limes.
(No limes or wine were used in this meal...they were just hanging out on the counter)



I was negligent on the prep photos but it all went so fast. This is incredibly easy.

The verdict on this dish? Recommended! My husband isn't the biggest eggplant fan in the world and he loved this dish. It's hearty...but it's also cooking light



Ingredients you'll need


4 1/2 cups cubed peeled eggplant
1/2 pound bulk pork breakfast sausage
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
6 cups hot cooked penne (about 10 ounces uncooked tube-shaped pasta)
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley


Preparation

Cook eggplant, sausage, and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until sausage is browned and eggplant is tender. Add tomato paste and the next 3 ingredients (through tomatoes); cook over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Place pasta in a large bowl. Add tomato mixture, cheese, and parsley; toss well.

Featured wine was a La Vieille Ferme red. Good marriage.

I have been working on a few other projects lately so my posting has been sporadic.

Hope all is well in your world!

13 comments:

  1. I have been a fan of Cooking Light for many years. Not only are their recipes healthy, many are very tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I picked up a Cooking Light Magazine was while I was at the post office. Our local post office has a box of magazine by the door where people can drop off magazine they no longer want and pick up another they may never have seen or tried.

    I have since become a huge fan and this recipe surely does not disappoint.

    Thank you so much for sharing, Tina. It has been so wonderful getting to know you all these years. I do hope you will contact me if you should ever decide to come back North...Louise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janel, You are so correct. I guess I had an unfair bias thinking it was bland.

    Louise, I saw your retirement post and will miss your postings. You can bet if I return to PA, even for a visit, I will contact you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be looking forward to it, Tina!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........