Pastitsio and a Bone-Headed Action

A few weeks back I read Harlot's Sauce: Memoir of Food, Family, Love, Loss and Greece. Then I wanted pastitsio. Here is my take, from a magazine recipe, on this delicious Greek dish.

By the way, my review of this memoir may be found at Novel Meals.

Also important to add is.....in a bone-headed impetuous action I deleted my account at Goodreads. Brilliant. So all those book reviews are gone, as is my friend's list, wish list for books, my entries for giveaways. Like I said...brilliant. (shakes her head, looking sad)

Some reviews I may recreate. If we were friends on that site...my bad.

Here is the pastitsio.



Ingredients

1/4 cup olive oil
· 1 medium onion, diced
· 1 pound ground lamb or beef
· 4 cloves garlic, chopped
· 1 cup dry red wine
· 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
· 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
· 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 3/4 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
· 3 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
· 1 pound ziti
· 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
· 3 cups 1% milk
· 1 cup reduced-fat crumbled feta cheese
· 2 eggs, beaten

Directions

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling.

In a large, straight-sided skillet, heat 1 tbsp of the oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook 3 minutes, until slightly softened. Add lamb and cook 8 to 10 minutes, until meat is browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute. Add wine; bring to a simmer and cook 3 minutes, scraping brown bits off the bottom of the skillet. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, cinnamon and 1/2 tsp of the salt. Bring to a simmer and cook 6 minutes, or until sauce has thickened. Stir in mint and oregano; set aside.

Meanwhile, cook ziti 2 minutes less than package directions in lightly salted boiling water. Drain and stir into meat sauce.

Heat remaining 3 tbsp oil in a medium pot set over medium heat. Add flour; whisk for 1 minute. Whisk in milk;
bring to a simmer and cook 5 to 7 minutes, until thickened. Stir in cheese and remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Remove from heat, cool 1 minute and slowly whisk in eggs.




To assemble:

Transfer meat and noodle mixture to a 13 x 9 x 2-inch oven-safe baking dish. Press noodles with the back of a spatula to make a flat layer. Pour cheese-egg mixture on top. Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 to 55 minutes, or until top layer is set.

This was extremely moist, delicious and we'd have it again. Oh yeah.

I will be sending this to CreamPuffs in Venice for her roundup of Magazine Monday. This is from Family Circle magazine, September 2012 issue.



3 comments:

Velva said...

I am so sorry that you deleted your account on Goodreads (ugh. I am banging my head on the table for you too.

I have always wanted to make pastitsio. I suddenly feel inspired.

Velva

Joanne said...

Pastitsio is my boyfriend's favorite food! Seriously. I might have to make this for him.

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook said...

Looks so good. Fantastic flavors in there, I need to make this, we've never had pastitsio before.

Lime and Ginger Salmon with Coconut Rice

The word stalker tends to bring up alarming images so it's probably good not describe yourself as such.  But I have to say, stalking a g...