Thursday, May 21, 2009

Lemon-Lime Garlic Roasted Chicken

With Feta Stuffed Plum Tomato



This is an adaption from Ina Garten's recipe. She has some wonderfully simple recipes and while she must have been quite good writing nuclear energy policy in her previous job, she is probably far more appreciated in her current career. Here's to the Barefoot Contessa (raised glasses clicking)
Everyone likes a a tasty meal, don't you think so?

I didn't have the called for number of lemons but I did have lime available so I modified. Why not?

The recipe calls for:

1 five pound roasting chicken
salt and pepper
1 large bunch fresh thyme
4 lemons (I needed to substitute one lime)
3 heads garlic, cut in half crosswise
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 pound sliced bacon


Cut up lemon/lime and garlic. You'll note from the photo I that did not read the directions and pulled the garlic cloves out individually so...next time I'll do it correctly and we'll have lovely melty garlic.


Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Remove chicken giblets and wash chicken, pat dry then season liberally with salt and pepper.

Stuff the cavity with thyme, leaving a bit to garnish the the chicken dish. Place 1 lemon, halved, and 2 halves of the garlic.



Ready for this.......cover it with bacon! Yes, wonderfully thick-cut slabs of bacon. I used maple bacon.



Roast the chicken for 1 hour. Remove bacon slices and set aside.



Continue roasting the chicken for an additional half hour or until juices run clear. Carve and plate up.



Served with plum tomatoes stuffed with feta cheese.



If I had sliced the garlic properly we would have had fat hunks of butter soft garlic to spread on the baguette. See the white and tanned garlic cloves? They were near perfect. Alas........we have some melty garlic but the others could chip a tooth. Those over baked worthless hulls had to be tossed out as they wouldn't even make the grade to be included in soup.



Despite being short the quantity of lemons I needed it worked out well. The taste was very good and I have put some of the chicken in soup for our lunch. The bacon that was set aside also made it into soup and the flavors all mingled very well.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks sooooooo gooooood! I haven't roasted a chicken in ages because I have 4 carcasses in the freezer that I'm not terribly inspired to to anything with. I might have to thaw out my remaining whole chicken, though, and do something like this with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH YUM! Dribbling again over the mixtures/combinations - chicken+garlic+lemon+ bacon and tomato+cheese!!! Feed me please :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wc - it was quite tasty and moist. And best of all easy.

    Jo - I would love to feed you! I wish we could all get together for a blogger buddy luncheon sometime. That would be a balst.

    Now...one of us just needs to win the lottery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your chicken looks delicious! What a perfect combination: lemon, garlic, and bacon.
    As for my post, you can find Calvados in liquor stores throughout the US.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen a bad Ina recipe. They always look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........