Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Caramel Croissant Pudding - Sinfully Delicious

Yea! It's Pot Luck over at I Heart Cooking Club this week. I screwed around too much last week and couldn't get the recipe I wanted to work on finished up, then added for Exotic Locations theme.

Well, in spite of not preparing a dish for that theme, I can tell you an exotic location I'd rather be at right now. The Canary Islands. Warm weather, shifting our toes through the sand as we walk the beach. Doug would rent a Softtail and we'd ride around....looking for places to eat, have some drinks back at our rental.

Yeeeeah....that's not happening anytime soon. But, since we are not doing Exotic Locations in the physical travel sense, and because I did not get it together to do that crab recipe from Nigella Express, I will submit Caramel Croissant Bread Pudding for Pot Luck.

Here is a snap of the end result....


Preheat the oven to 350F. Tear up the 2 large stale croissants into pieces and place in a baking dish. Put 1 cup of sugar in a pan with 2 tablespoons water. That is so much sugar.... Swirl it around and dissolve. Stir. That's obvious I guess.



Turn heat down and add 1/2 cup heavy cream, stir to keep it from getting toffee-like.




Ignore splattering cream and whisk away, then add 1/2 cup of whole milk and 3 tablespoons bourbon. The recipe calls for 2 tablespoons but I thought...what the hell. We used Marker's Mark.




Take off the heat
, still whisking, and add 2 beaten eggs.......



Pour the caramel-bourbon-custard mixture over the croissants. Let it steep for 5 to 10 minutes. You could almost grab a spoon and just start eating it now.......



Place in the oven for 20 minutes.

It was magnificent. I kid you not...it was gooey, boozy, sweet...delicious.




Look how big this bowl is.....see the blue sheep trying to get it's mouth around it? It's huge!



Seriously, this is a keeper. We'd love to make this again but it's a high fat/sugar bomb so....all in moderation. Try it! Let me know if you like it as much as we did.

Cheers!

19 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to make this one based on all the great reviews. I keep buying croissants, but they never get the chance to get stale;D It looks great Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The caramel custard sounds rich enough, but it goes over croissants?! I've been trying to eat healthy lately, so I won't be trying this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my... And I am making a bread pudding in two days... now I have to ponder

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm... that croissant pudding does look totally sinful but oh so irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to be bad! So sinful and sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooooooooh I am so making this

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite a metamorphosis for a croissant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to dream about these. They look luscious.....and sweet and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone! I haven't been online in two days and just saw your comments.

    It has a wicked boozy taste, sweet too. Not something we'd make all the time I'll tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds amazing! I love bread pudding - never thought of trying it with croissants. This is going on my must make list - the one that starts with make real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. loneilteaches - thank you for stopping by! It's a good bread pudding, let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! This looks so fab-u-lous. I wish I had a recipe all to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my blog!

    Okay, so this pudding looks wicked good! I love caramel in anything. And with croissant? That's gotta be so good. Definitely bookmarking this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kathleen - thank you for stopping by! The recipe actually says you could split this with two people. It is WAY too much for two...I guess :-)

    Sook - Let me know if you try it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have had my eye on this one--one of these days when I am looking for a decadent treat--it looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also made this for IHCC and it was devine! This one is definitely going into my keeper file. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Deb - it would become a favorite.

    Rosabela - I am hopping over to your page to check it now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........