Friday, August 13, 2010

Savory Meat Pies stolen from Our Krazy Kitchen

(I started this post before the old Toshiba died...obviously, Hell's Kitchen is over for the season :-) )

Savory meat pies. Do I need to say more? Eating a few of these bad boys while watching the penultimate episode of Hells Kitchen made us long for the cooler climate of England . Brandishing a bottle of Branston Pickle, slathering a corner of the meaty pasty brought visions of rural Devon; of us hiking amidst the heather and bracken, breathing in cool crisp air, building an appetite to grab some pub grub in any one of the small picturesque villages. (Deep Sigh)



OK, back to meat pie and hot ass Florida where we’ve had heat advisories (due to the heat index being as high as 118 F (47 C ) - That’s correct. 118 F is what is would feel like some afternoons. So…no sucking in a deep lungful of cool crisp air. Turning the A/C down, we can at least dream

Savory Meat Pies.

I snagged this idea from a blog I have recently stumbled upon called Our Krazy Kitchen so, a shout out to Chris as this is her recipe.

Brilliantly simple and sure to be a repeat in the kitchen at Squirrel Head Manor. Before I regale you with the recipe, let me say these are a treat as well as a time saving meal to toss together - especially if you have hungry children pouring into your home after school. And there are so many variations you can make – each meat pie will be different.



Next time, for just the two of us, I will prepare the filling mixture and use only one can of refrigerated biscuits, saving the remaining filling for another evening. They reheated fine, but you know they were better fresh and steaming out of the oven. We ate these like it was our job!


The slightly modified recipe from Our Krazy Kitchen

Beef & Cheddar Meat Pies
Ingredients
1 pound Ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1/2 ea Green bell pepper, chopped fine
Salt and Pepper
2 cans of refrigerated biscuits
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese

Instructions
In a preheated skillet, brown the meat, onion and bell pepper. Drain well.

Flour a surface, take two biscuits, overlap them and then roll them out into a figure 8. Add filling and top with cheese.



Fold it together and use a fork to crimp edges. Bake.






Thank you to Chris over at Our Krazy Kitchen!



Cheers!

16 comments:

  1. I used to make something very similar a lot - as soon as it cools down I will be making this again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pierce,
    I spotted you at Marie's and came to check you out. We are also going through this hot summmer; unusal for us. Your pies look really good!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pies look very appetizing. I always go for a meat pie recipe! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice...they're like pasties (a totally UP thang...upper peninsula of Michigan). I love these...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christy - It's difficult to put up witha hot oven in the summer....you and I both will be glad to see Fall temperatures.

    Sage/Rita - Thanks for surfing over to visit! I am off to see your blog now. Before I go, I will make a guess...you are in England. Lets see if I am correct :-)

    Katerina - Easy to pack in a lucnh box too!

    Girlichef - I liked the ease of prep and being a comfort food. Are you from the mitt of MI ??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely a treat! I have them on my menu plan for this week too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is hot ass in Florida. Just a few short months ago, we were complaining that the cold weather would never go away. What was I thinking?

    These savory little meat pies look scrumptious. I would definitely make these in a large batch and freeze to enjoy for a long time. I am feeling inspired to make these little pies too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great post, and you did Chris proud. As part of the OKK team (and we are looking for a new columnist if you are ever interested (weekly, monthly, every other year, they can work with you) thanks for all the shout outs.

    Sorry i haven't been around as much as I would have liked. Connection issues made visiting blogs difficult. But all that slowness is done and I welcome returning to being a regular visitor agin...

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  9. these sound so easy and delish with the cheddar ... nice Pierce

    ReplyDelete
  10. These really sound like a delicious and homely meal - My favorite kind. I'm glad that you are back up and running. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so yummy...I bet they are particularly satisfying on a cold afternoon/evening. I just found your blog tonight, and I'm very glad that I did!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love meat pies. Whether they are Jamaican, Latin, or Brittish, bring em' on. Great recipe.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We ate these like it was our job! - I haven't heard that phrase in a long time and I love it:)

    These look delicious Tina. I would have no problem eating them like it was my job either.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 118 degrees seems unnatural. How is this possible!

    I like the looks of your meat pies, especially your crusts. That's my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Martha - Good! Let me know how it turns out!

    Velva - Do think we have had more than our share of the hot weather this year?! Goodness, I don't remember it being this bad in summers past. The little pies were a smashing hit, let me know if you try them...wiuth one of your Bloody Marys :)

    Dave - No problem, my friend. I am completely sympathetic about connection problems. Makes me want to quit blogging sometimes.
    I have been keeping up with you on both Reader and when I can connect to your blog. Love what you wrote about Jackie!

    Drick - Next time I'm trying feta.

    Mary - Simple meals are the best :-)

    Monet - I am so happy you found me ! Thanks for the nice comment.

    Carla and Michael - I love a recipe where there are so many ways to prepare them, different tastes :-)

    Kim - They are dangerous to have around...too easy to indulge...all. day. long.

    Sara - Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love a meat pie - minced beef, steak, steak and kidney ... you name it! BUT the best ever - the steak pies from the Carters the butchers in Bamburgh ... Simon can inhale them as he passes the shop!!

    http://uktv.co.uk/food/outlet/aid/618597

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........