I am combining Magazine Monday and also hosting the Blogger Secret Ingredient this week - yea! Hosting is cool and fun :-)
OK, avocados and salsa first....then read on about the Secret Ingredient hosting.
Avocados were featured in Southern Living magazine in the Sepetember 2010 issue. Just a page, more of an informational thing but I found it interesting.
There was a short info blurb which included a variation on a guacamole recipe using salsa. It was so good!
Simple simple stuff.....
Mash the pulp from 2 avocados. Stir in a 1/3 cup drained chilled salsa and 2 Tb lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
You'll note using salsa with the guac kept it from being that vibrant green color.....DElicious!
When buying avocados check for ripeness by gently pressing the outside of the fruit. It shoud have just a bit of give to it.
This was a great appie with corn chips before enjoying some grilled chicken, corn on the cob and a few beers. Pop in a Jimmy Buffet CD and enjoy him serenading us over a sloppy hands on meal...windows open.....cool breeze. Doesn't get any better. (Big sigh of contentment)
5 Reasons avocados will make you healthier (according to Southern Living)
1. They protect your eyes from disease. Avocados have a high content (more than any other fruit) of earotenoid lutein, which protects against cataracts and macular degenertaion - a leading cause of blindness.
2. They will lower you cholesterol. Avocados are high in beta-sitosterol, a natural substance that has been shown to lower blood pressure and cholesterol. (I had always heard they are high in cholesterol...so...who knows)
3. They help regulate and reduce blood pressure. A great source of potassium containing even more than bananas. This may reduce your risk of stroke.
4. They are a great source of vitamin E.
5. They will moisturize your skin. Avocado butter and oil, two deep-conditioning emollients, will soften skin and (supposedly) restore your skin's elasticity.
Blogger Secret Ingredient Event!!!
This week I am hosting the Blogger Secret Ingredient event!! Just cook or bake something using the secret ingredient from the current week and this time it’s……….Salsa! I can think of so many dishes to add salsa …… because I like salsa…..very much.
Make your own or use store bought stuff
At the end of the week I pick the winning recipe and will send you a prize. I feel so empowered……I have never been a judge before.
How to enter:
Simple......Make a recipe using the secret ingredient (SALSA)and write a blog post about it. Include a link back to this post.
Email me your entry at hexandkobe AT yahoo DOT com with the permalink to your entry ( not homepage, please). Older/archived posts may be used as long as they're updated with a link to this post.
If you don't have a blog, but would still like to enter, please email me your entry (w/ photo) to hexandkobe at yahoo dot com.
For a list of all the previous hosts/choices, check out Biz's BSI page.
Deadline for submissions is Sunday, April 3rd at 9pm (Eastern).
I will post the roundup and the winner the following day. If you have any questions please leave them in the comment area or send me an email.
Let's have fun!!!!!!
I may also be found at Novel Meals.
Last weekend we drove down Highway 98 toward Tropical Trader located in Panacea Florida. We had been there back in March but on the Harley ...
For Christmas Gregg and Barb subscribed me to Cook's Illustrated , a detailed foodie magazine with recipes, but also includes product re...
Thank you to Roda of Roda's Recipes for becoming a follower of my blog! Ham. Fresh ham.............. It was ashame to waste so much ...