A Glock Rocks!

Previously I posted about my experience in a firearm safety class. If you missed it I broke it into two posts - Classroom and Firing Range. After all that I have shared let me introduce you to a new recreational pursuit as well as my first purchase. Before I do.....I want to sum up a few thoughts about my recent experience.

Education and training are critical components for firearm ownership and safety. Anyone legally eligible to purchase a firearm may do so without any training whatsoever – but I think that’s very foolish to skip out on the basics.



The training taught me critical safety procedures as well as defensive actions. As far as defense, I hope I never EVER am put in a position where I need to evaluate whether I should pull out my firearm to protect myself or assure the safety of my loved ones. A rational person (in my humble opinion) never wants to harm or take someone’s life; what an awful thing to carry with you forever, even if it’s justified.

That being said, if an intruder breaks into our home, I am not physically capable of stopping a man from raping and/or killing me. I don’t have the protection of armed guards or a policeman at the ready in case I am in trouble – but my gun is capable of making a criminal pause and retreat, or stopping them altogether while I call law enforcement.

Do I live in fear? No. No, I don’t. But I am prepared and trained for something I hope never happens. That’s called insurance. Good to have – hope you never need it.

Recreation
At this point I consider myself a recreational shooter. We have gone to several shooting ranges to target practice and it’s a blast (yes, pun intended). We shoot targets at 8, 15 and 25 feet. Practice is what I am needing for the 20+ foot targets. There is a camaraderie among the men and women who show up and practice with revolvers, semi-automatics and rifles. I love the sound of the neighboring rifles as you hear a whooshing crack…followed by a thump!

So, what did I end up getting for my first gun? A Glock 26, a sturdy 9 millimeter semi-automatic. It was a tough choice between that and the Smith and Wesson Shield (another 9 mm.) but I surely do love the hand feel of the Glock. It’s actually called a Baby Glock and fits well in my small hand.



Doug has a Glock 30, a hefty .45 cal which gives me too much recoil. Had to try it though. It’s a nice gun. He’s a great shot and quite enthusiastic!



For what it's worth, if you ever decide to own a semi-automatic weapon, buy a speed loader. Otherwise you'll feel the cramp and pain of trying to push bullets into a magazine and if you have small hands like I do, oh my. I wasn't the only one who had help loading the ammo but a speed loader makes life easier.

So there you have it folks………..thank you for taking the journey with me. I know that no matter what I have written, how I have stressed safety, handling and responsibility with gun ownership there will be some gun control advocates who disagree. But if you feel this way, I will politely ask you to please read my posts again so you understand this is about education and choice.

I am not a gun nut. I wasn’t before the class nor am I now. I am now merely an informed recreational shooter. It’s a continuing education….I’m still just a baker, a wife, a mom who worries, a dreamer and now a gun owner.




Thanks to the initial training I had at Talon I have the confidence in my ability to handle a loaded firearm. There is a Basic II class which my husband and I will take in the near future.

If you are thinking of buying a firearm – please take a safety course and let me know what you think!

6 comments:

Debra Eliotseats said...

One bit of advice. Do not wear a low V-neck t-shirt to the shooting range. Shells are hot mamas (especially when they go down your shirt). I am speaking from experience! :)

Pierce said...

Thanks, Debra. I had a sweatshirt on when we went shooting but I would probably wear a t shirt once it gets hotter. I am new at this so I appreciate the advice!

Janel Gradowski said...

Glad to see you're enjoying your new sport. It is definitely fun to hit the target and training is a crucial part of owning a weapon. Enjoy!

Pierce said...

Thank you, Janel...we have been enjoying the range time. Need to try those spinning targets you mentioned :-)

Kim said...

Well, I think everyone should know how to shoot a gun. You never know when you might need to use it.

Enjoy!

Pierce said...

Thank you, Kim! It's sure been fun.

Lime and Ginger Salmon with Coconut Rice

The word stalker tends to bring up alarming images so it's probably good not describe yourself as such.  But I have to say, stalking a g...