Monday, September 01, 2014

Bacon Quinoa from The Quinoa Quookbook
{#4 Cookbook Countdown}

Quinoa is something new to our diet. I kept reading about it in food blogs and was curious but didn’t know if we’d like it. Quinoa is pronounced Keen-Wah. Did you know that? Probably most people do but I didn’t. This is a grain I never gave any thought to before but I’m glad I tried it.



Eliza Cross wrote The Quinoa Quookbook and I was fortunate enough to have acquired a copy. We are completely smitten with Eliza’s book 101 Things to do with Bacon so we were curious about the many ways we could use quinoa. Being a fan of bacon we immediately sought out the bacon and quinoa recipe. It’s great!




I used Trader Joe's organic quinoa (a thoughtful gift from the author :-) Rinsed it and then started with a saute of bacon, onion and green pepper.




Bacon quinoa
The Quinoa Quookbook by Eliza Cross

Ingredients....

2 slices thick bacon, cut into ¼ inch dice
1 small shallot, minced
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
2 cups chicken stock
1 TB minced chives
1 TB chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Method....

Cook bacon until fat has rendered, about 2 minutes. Add shallot and cook, stirring until softened but not browned. Add quinoa and chicken stock and bring to a boil.

Cover and cook over low heat for approximately 20 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork and stir in chives and parsley.





This is my fourth book in the Cookbook Countdown hosted at Kitchen Flavours.

CookYOURbooks

I am also sharing this with Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series.



Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

19 comments:

  1. OMG! Top that with a fried egg and call it breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dish looks absolutely DELISH - so glad you enjoyed the cookbook and quinoa. You chose one of my favorite recipes! Happy cooking! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate you, Eliza :-) I am learning m,ore about quinoa all the time. Too bad I waited so many years to try it. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love quinoa and use it instead of rice quite often. This bacon-infused dish made with broth sounds like a total winner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. BF- I love how broth pumps up the quinoa or rice, makes it so much richer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bacon makes everything better! And I'm sure it adds great flavor to the quinoa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds delicious! I love quinoa but my husband is not sold on the idea. I think the bacon and shallots just might do the trick. I'm pinning this to make later. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only tried quinoa once before, and got a little weirded out by the curliness. :) But I need to try again. . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tina, I always said quin-o-a like it's spelled until someone who is a major foodie somewhat condescendly corrected me. I say we should say it however we want. And don't start me on acai berries. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love quinoa! Haven't tried Bacon Quinoa before, but we LOVE bacon so I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Putting bacon with quinoa is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We like quinoa, and bacon definitely makes everything better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been hesitant to try quinoa but well add bacon and it suddenly seems more promising.

    Have a great weekend,
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Tina,
    Your quinoa with the bacon, looks so, so, delicious!
    I have never tried quinoa before, and wonder how it tastes like.
    Perhaps like you, having it with bacon would be a good start! :)
    Thank you for linking with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Tina, thanks for sharing this yummy Bacon quinoa. I've not tried quinoa. The pumpkin & apple soup I made recently called for quinoa. But it is not easily available here when I tried to find it in a few supermarkets / organic shops.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........