Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Getting out of the Army,
Books and Pets and
A new Subaru

As with every Christmas season I am eating far too much. Why, oh why, do people at work bring in so many sweets in November and December? They would be a welcome surprise in April, a doughnut would be so nice in June. Sadly I have a sweet tooth and my determination and willpower can only withstand so much. Obviously I need to buy oranges and apples for snacks at work so I can turn toward a heathy food choice. Stupid candy bowls on a desk – bah!

Our son finally received his orders and his last day as a US Army soldier is December 23rd. That’s great for all of us that he and his family will be back in close proximity. Nice Christmas gift to have them back but the down side is he needs to find work. Please keep him in your thoughts as he begins the hunt for employment.





One Subaru: We have downsized from 2 cars to one.

Goodbye to the Scion!


We sold the old Scion xB and Rav4 and now have a Subaru Forester. I love it! We love it! It has heated seats and heated mirrors, great gas milage and all sorts of creature comforts. Since we ride to work together and I don’t drive at night it makes sense to have one vehicle. Saves us on insurance too.



Pet News



Kobe had a very bad bout of diarrhea recently. The vet visit, blood sample, tests and meds were dispensed which ran us $215. He started back on the mend and wouldn’t you know it, Aja got sick a few days later.

The recommended course was to keep her from food for 24 hours. Whatever was causing the distress would be gone after that time frame and her digestive tract would have time to heal. We opted for that plan instead of forking out another $215. Worked like a charm!

Turned out it was the canned dog food we had been using. Taste of the Wild has been on their evening meal plan for quite a while but suddenly, their little colons rebelled against it. Now both are doing well.

Here he is, all sad because he had blood taken. See his cute little red bandage?





Reading: Books recently have included:
Nora Webster
Broadchurch
You have to Fucking Eat
Choose your own Autobiography NPH


I am gearing up for two book challenges this upcoming year.


That’s about it for the Squirrel Head Manor update. Hopefully I can get it together to send a card or letter before Christmas. I will still take this time to wish anyone reading a lovely and safe holiday. Be careful out there!

17 comments:

  1. Hi Tina!
    Congratulations on your son coming home just in time for Christmas. What a wonderful present. I'll keep my hears awake for jobs. I'm pretty sure they are still hiring for the gas companies up here but with the gas prices so low, I'm not sure.

    Congrats on the new car too. I didn't know you had a Scion. I do too!!! Mine is a 2004, has over 210K miles and still runs like a charm. Can't beat the gas mileage either. It's an XA though. I've been thinking about getting a Subaru also but I want a Brat which they don't make anymore. I think I'll wait until Spring to decide. The Forester is on my list too. We'll see:)

    Glad to hear Kobe is feeling better and that Aja made it through using the "plan." Pet care is astronomical these days. which reminds me, I'll be "sitting" for Iggy on Friday! Yipee!!!

    I'll be popping by before Christmas but just in case, Tina. Have a Happy and enjoy that reunion with your son...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Louise so much for the nice sentiments. We are happy to have the family closer to be sure.
    The Scion was great and the gas mileage was good too. So comfortable. But we weren't using it often so why pay the tag and maintenance, right?

    Merry Christmas to you Louise...in case I don't post again before then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tina, Merry Christmas! Yea! Your son will be home. Yea! Your new subaru! Yea your puppies are feeling better too.

    Hope everything is well. Wishing you a wonderful 2015.

    Velva

    P.S. You can pick my brain anyway about gardening. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Velva! As for the gardening we sincerely hope to have a decent harvest next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so pleased for you that Tristan is coming out of the army and that they'll be close to home. I'm off to France on Tuesday :o) Poor Kobe :o(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great time, I know you will and please give your parents our best!
      Thanks for the good wishes about Tristan

      Delete
  6. So happy that your son will be coming back home! And good luck to him on his job search!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joanne! Merry Christmas 🎅

      Delete
  7. HI Tina!
    Well, I've scheduled by final Cookbook Wednesday post for 2014 and now I am going to take a bit of a blogging break until next year.

    I just wanted to pop by to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas Tina. Enjoy every single moment with your loved ones. "See" you next year!!! Louise

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad I finally visited and saw your going-ons... prayers for all, esp Tristan and here's to a new diet plan for 2015...
    now, about Taste of the Wild... what did you switch to? Our little Max has eaten it all his life (dry kibble with broth) and sometimes has a bout with stomach ailments...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just popping by to wish you and yours a Happy, Healthy and Fantabulous New Year Tina!!! Stay safe and have FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Drick, We only gave Kobe and Aja the canned Taste of the Wild so I am thinking that is what caused them some upset. We consulted with the vet about it. Thanks for all the great wishes for the new year!!

    Thank you, Louise!! Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........