Thursday, April 23, 2015

Chicken and Mushrooms, Jacques Pepin style

What is going on here in our part of world? Not much exciting actually. But that can be a good thing. No injuries, no sick dogs, no trees falling on the house. Our garden is coming along well and we have been fortunate enough to get quiet time for reading. Life is good.

As for the food department I have been looking into recipes by Jacques Pepin. They are into week three of cooking with Jacques Pepin at I Heart Cooking Club. Since we are big fans of any chicken dish I will be submitting this chicken thigh loaded with mushrooms.



Eating outside on the patio makes the meal even more enjoyable. The recipe calls for you to plate the thighs and then add the mushroom mixture. I just placed it all on one platter. I'm fancy like that.




Jacques Pepin's Chicken Thighs
From More Fast Food My Way

INGREDIENTS

4 chicken thighs, bone in with skin
3⁄4teaspoon salt
3⁄4teaspoon black pepper
1small onion, finely diced
3large garlic cloves, chopped
10 ounces mushrooms, chopped into 1/2-inch dice
1⁄3cup dry white wine
chives, chopped, for garnish

Method

Preheat oven to 175F. Cut extra skin and fat off each thigh. Cut a 1/2 " slit into meat on either side of the bone, so that chicken will cook faster and evenly. Season thighs with 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper.

Place chicken into non-stick skillet, skin side down, on high heat.

When chicken starts to sizzle, cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 16-18 minutes. If browning too quickly after 10 minutes, reduce heat to low.

Transfer chicken, skin side up, to a heat proof platter and place in oven to keep warm. Pepin recommends keeping your serving plates in the oven so that they will be warm when you plate the chicken.

Remove all but 2 tbsp of fat from the skillet. Add onions, garlic and mushrooms. Cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently.

Add 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and white wine. If any liquid has accumulated on the platter in the oven, add that liquid to the pan. Cook over high heat for 1 minute, to reduce the liquid a bit.

Divide the mushroom mixture between 4 plates. Place one piece of chicken on top and garnish with chives to serve. I just placed it all on one platter. It was great!

This is my offering to I Heart Cooking Club.

9 comments:

  1. I so want to join up! I just don't know if I can commit like that. Every week is a lot for me.
    The Chicken looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mushrooms are such a wonderful ingredient in any savory dish. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, it's not a commitment. They have themes for each week and you may join in as you please. I don't hook up every week. Thanks, about the chicken!

    Thank tou, Mae!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never mind the chicken that looks great-the bread. Having just returned from France I think I ate every piece of bread placed in front of me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love chicken thighs - no part of the bird is better! Life sounds good Mrs C :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a simple, tasty meal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Esme, I like bread also but it has to be a good quality loaf.

    Mrs. L, It is good this week!!

    Thanks, Joanne, it was easy and delish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, uneventful can be a very good thing. :) Love this simple recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Lea Ann, for stopping by'

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........