Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Brazilian Chicken: It's colorful, flavorful and super easy!

The theme this week at I ♥ Cooking Club is Local and Seasonal. Curtis Stone's recipe for Brazilian Chicken fits the theme perfectly.

In Florida we have a longer growing season so peppers and okra can be had for months on end. I did not grow my own peppers but we are having some luck with tomatoes this time! Look at this beauty of a meal. It's so colorful.

chicken

The prep time is minimal, just a few minutes, chopping a few veggies for sauteing.

Brazil1

I had most of the prep done prior to loading Aja in the car and taking her to the park. Once we got home, I was ready to stand at the stove top and make magic. These veggies look great sizzling in the pan, all natural ingredients and a burst of fresh flavor. Tomatoes, onions, peppers, okra and garlic.

chicken and veg

We served this chicken dish over couscous and had a side salad. (Meh - blurry photo!)




Brazilian Chicken

INGREDIENTS
 2 tablespoons/30 ml olive oil
 4 chicken legs
 4 chicken thighs
 Salt and freshly ground black pepper
 1 onion, thinly sliced
 1 red bell pepper, seeded, thinly sliced
 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded, thinly sliced
 2 plum tomatoes, seeded, thinly sliced
 1 or 2 jalapeno chili peppers, finely chopped
 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
 10 okra, thinly sliced on the bias
 1 cup/225 ml dry white wine

PREPARATION:

Place a large, heavy-based saute or frying pan over a medium-to-high heat. Score the skin atop the chicken legs and thighs with a sharp knife. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and black pepper. Drizzle the olive oil over the hot pan and place the chicken skin side down into the pan.

Cook for 5 minutes or until the skin is golden brown on the bottom. Turn the chicken over and cook on the other side for about 5 minutes longer or until the chicken is golden brown.

Transfer the chicken pieces to a plate and drain all but 1 tablespoon/15 ml of the oil. The chicken will be golden brown on the outside but will not be cooked through at this point. Add the onions and saute for 2 minutes.

Add bell peppers, tomatoes, chili pepper and garlic, and saute for a further 4 minutes or until the peppers have softened slightly. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.

Return the chicken to the pan and drizzle with white wine. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the okra. Turn the chicken pieces over, then cover and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.

Curtis Stone Badge Resized

Check out I ♥ Cooking Club and see what others served up. Also linking up to Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series.

24 comments:

  1. I LOVE tomatoes, onions, peppers, okra and garlic. My son does not like peppers or okra at all. Still I could make this for me and make him something else. It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina:)
    Wowza that is indeed one colorful looking dish. I just love all those fresh ingredients melded together in flavor. I really could just dive in, lol...

    I'm so glad to hear you're having good luck with tomatoes this year. Something tells me I'm going to be angry at myself for not planting any this year.

    Thank you so much for sharing Tina...I hope you'll consider joining us for this week's Cookbook Wednesday with the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks all. This was easy to prepare, I recommend it. I am finding Curtis Stone's recipes to be keepers.

    Louise, the tomatoes aren't thriving in this heat, I can tell you. I wish we had a bit of Spring weather last longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okra is not a big vegetable in my life - I've oink had it in curries (soft and slimy) and I am not a fan ... A textural thing. Any cooking ad ice to stop it being slimy? Or something I could swap for it? The rest - combo of dark chicken meat and garlic, onion, peppers and anything is always delicious.
    Thanks for sharing T x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jo, okra can be slimy, depends how you cook it. I like the breaded sort, very crispy. But yeah, in this recipe it isn't breaded and so, the texture may not thrill you. The rest was dynamic though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum - though I'd leave off the okra. Do I lose my Southerner card if I don't like okra? There's something about the texture that I don't get along with. I'm always a bit jealous of the growing seasons a little further South. I just got my tomatoes and peppers in the ground and while the plants look like they're doing well it will be awhile before I have anything except the occasional cherry tomato.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to cook like that too, get a bunch of prep done first, then enjoy whipping up dinner. Love okra too, and if it's cooked right don't find it to be slimy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wondering how this meal is related to Brazilian cuisine. I have only heard of their special dish of black beans and various types of meat and a few others. It does sound very tasty.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So colorful--it just says "happy" on the plate! I love easy, stewy dishes like this. I am a bit on the okra fence sometimes, but I have found that I tend to like it fried the best best and sliced (like this) in stewy dishes so it is a smaller bit of *gooey* rather than a large piece. Hah! Does that make sense? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That does look good. Haven't had okra in awhile and I imagine it's a nice addition to the usual peppers/tomatoes/onion saute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it the peppers that make it Brazilian? I've never had okra. Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those peppers are so bright and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love onepot meals like these, looks so colourful

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks delicious, although I would probably skip the okra!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you all for such nice comments! I was away Saturday so will be visiting Sunday (today) and seeing which dishes you prepared this week. I think we will have this Brazilian chicken on a regular rotation here.

    Mae, I have no idea why Curtis Stone named this dish Brazilian chicken but I imagine its in the preamble for the recipe in his book, Relaxed Cooking. I had to turn my copy in to the library but am now curious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is indeed a beautiful dish. I love the photo of the pan with the vegetables - I'd be very happy with just that served over couscous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for this recipe! I have some frozen free-range chicken in my freezer. I just gotta buy some vegetables to cook this dish. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yum! I've made this before and the family enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not a huge okra fan but this looks sooooo pretty and I love one-pot dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing collection of vegetables in one pot. The tomatoes look fresh and flavorful. It makes me wanting to reach for a bite.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........