Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Black Bean Soup inspired by The Twelve

We have been reading so much lately. Back to back apocalyptic books and now I am on to my favorite British detective, Alan Banks.

Today I posted my review of Justin Cronin's The Twelve and, as I try and find a representative food from books I read, this soup was a clear choice. Homemade soup and bread were mentioned when Peter visited Amy.

Soup The 12

This seems like a cheat talking about a "recipe" for this soup as it's pretty much a toss together from bits in the fridge and pantry. We always have cans of black beans on hand so this is a good base to start the soup.

soup black beans

A Simple Black Bean and Veggie Soup

3 TB olive oil
1 TB butter
1 can of black beans
chopped onions
about a cup of fresh or frozen corn
4 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
a couple of green onions, chopped
2 fresh tomatoes chopped (or a 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes with juice)
green bell pepper, chopped
3/4 cup broth
Seasonings you like - I use salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme and paprika.

Melt the butter and add the olive oil to a pan. Saute all the vegetables until soft. Tip in the canned black beans, stir, then tip in the tomatoes. Now toss in the herbs. Heat to almost boiling and simmer for a bit, letting the flavors mingle.

If you have leftover rice add it now. This will bulk it up. This is a vegetarian version if you use vegetable broth. You may also use chicken broth and add any meat leftover from other meals, if you desire. Sometimes I have just a wee bit of chicken leftover and it goes in the pot. Other times I add sausage. Just depends what you have on hand and what sort of additions you want. This soup is ever changing in ur house.

I will be joining Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sunday series. The linkup for this week is HERE. Please join in if you have made a soup, salad or sandwich.

SouperSundays






7 comments:

  1. This looks delicious and oh so simple! I love the idea of adding rice to bulk it up a bit. J loves black bean soup so I'll have to pin this recipe to make soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always a fan of a good black bean soup--so hearty and satisfying. I often serve mine with rice but usually don't think to add the rice to the soup. Smart! ;-)

    Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So...as I was saying.... Next week for SouperSundays. (keep your fingers crossed) I was organizing recipes I have saved and there are a ton of soups! I just need to be more organized about my time, I guess and getting blog posts up. I don't know how all you organized people do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It actually feels like fall here today (thankfully) so I am in the mood for soup! I love recipes that you can just toss in whatever you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all, I think a good hearty bowl of soup can perk up your day. This one is a favorite throw-together. I need to try Deb's idea and scoop some of the beans out and purée them, give it a different texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........