Friday, August 12, 2016

Quinoa Salad
{Starring roasted corn, pesto and black beans}

Happy Friday!!!

I know anyone who works a Monday - Friday job is happy to see this day arrive. Looking forward to all sorts of fun things this weekend....besides not being at work. Things such as bike rides, new books, maybe some Cuban cuisine and new music. Maybe I'll splurge and buy a bottle of bourbon. Why not.

Now....let us talk about healthy salads and side dishes. We like to eat well and while I would have this salad again, it will be a long time before I make it. Now how can I endorse something and then say I won't make it? Because I made way too much. Waaaaaayyy too much.

This is a salad you can eat hot or cold. Do you like quinoa and black beans and roasted corn? This is for you then. As summer starts it's final countdown we are still eating light meals most of the time....But certainly we're looking forward to the heartier meals that warm us in the (oh please come on and hurry) cold weather.

Salads and grilled foods have been the staples here.

quinoa2

Credit where credit is due, I grabbed this recipe from Joanne at Eats Well with Others.
HERE is her original posting and recipe.


I wasn't trying to get the peppers in a pinwheel or get artsy with them. I was thinking that Doug may not like too many roasted peppers so, this makes them easier to work around or grab as many as you like.

quinoa1

It made so very much that we took leftovers for lunch. More than one day. I really made too much.

IMG_7566

The olive oil I used was Pompeian Olive Oil as there was a great sale at our markets a week or so back. I stock up on the buy-one-get-one deals when I see items I use all the time. Believe me, olive oil is something we use daily. This will be tucked into my salad folder. Just don't make too much and you won't get sick of it in a hurry because it's very good.

I will be joining Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sunday series. Join in and add your link - this week's Link up is HERE.


SouperSundays

Also sharing this with Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series.



Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

12 comments:

  1. That does look good. I've been cutting recipes in half because most of them make way to much for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ought to have quartered this one, Vicki. It was good and I took it for lunch a few days too. Are you linking up with Deb's Souoer Sunday this week? Can you believe we are midway through August?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great for these hot days. But I know what you mean about making too much ... I'm okay with leftovers, but the third time around I want something new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BFR if it can freeze well then making too much is sometimes not a problem. This can't freeze well, I'm guessing 😒

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've just started eating quinoa here and are really enjoying it.

    I hate when I make too much of something, did that last week with potato salad and finally had to throw out the rest, which disturbs me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tina~ I was going to link up with Souper Sunday, but didn't make the soup I had planned. I guess I'll make it and post next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too generally go overboard when making quinoa. This recipe sounds good, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since the students arrived this past Wednesday, I was very ready for Friday! :) Also, am making this salad for lunches next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like it when I accidently make too much - IF it's a good dish. Fortunately for me, my husband will happily eat the same thing every day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know quinoa is supposed to be good for you but I just can't get into it. Cheers from Carole's chatter

    ReplyDelete
  11. I pretty much live on leftovers most of the week but I do occasionally make just too much of something and get a little burnt out--no matter how good it is.

    I love healthy satisfying salads like this--perfect to enjoy on a warm night or to grab-and-go. Thanks for sharing it at Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not only does this sound good, but it looks simple to make and is quite colorful! A win-win-win :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........