This will be old news now as it all transpired last week. As many of you know, Hurricane Hermine swept up into the Gulf of Mexico and aimed right for our little part of the state. We work in Tallahassee but live about 15 miles to the west in a rural area.


Our governor sent all the State Drones home at noon on Thursday so we wouldn't clog the roads when the severe weather struck. Even in the best weather conditions we have a dangerous surplus of drivers around these parts. There are many college students (although they aren't solely to blame) - but we seriously must have the largest population of boneheads with driver licences in the Tallahassee area.

I wasn't able to get too many photos of the storm damage as we stayed home, keeping the roads clear for repair crews and linemen.


This was actually taken the day after when we attempted to take a back road to the grocery store. A huge tree had blocked the road and pulled down a power line.


About 2:30 in the morning the winds were wicked, howling around us and we could hear branches and limbs hitting the roof. It was a bit nerve wracking so we decided to just get up and put on coffee, especially as we still had electricity. After two cups and us staring at our tablets for news we decided to try and sleep again after 5:30.

This is a screen shot of our Highway Patrol site on Friday September 2nd. Normally I check this before heading to work to see if there are accidents to avoid. There may be one of two incidents on a regular day.
This was Friday afternoon.


We had a large tree fall, fortunately not toward our house or carport. It took down the phone line and has now become part of the landscape in the field. We don't have a chainsaw and I expect as this decays, it will become part of the perimeter, making homes for birds. If you look at the center of the tree you can see my husband on the other side.


A causality of the storm.


In spite of the plans for a few rides over the Labor Day weekend we were only able to get out on Monday for a short ride. We headed north into Georgia as the roads weren't impacted near Bainbridge and Cairo. It was still cloudy but cooler temperatures in the morning.


Unfortunately there are still a few thousand people without power....even after a week. Can't imagine how we'd have fared if this had been anything higher than a category 1 storm.

Once we had gotten home on Thursday I started preparing food that could be easily heated on a propane camp stove if we lost electricity for any length of time. I made a meat sauce for pasta and then tossed it in the slow cooker to mince down. I also made a Chicken Gnocchi soup in the slow cooker.

That's the update for us and I thank you all for the kind wishes and checking on us during the storm. We managed to read quite a bit during this past weekend! Updates later.


Vicki said...

We had a few limbs hit the roof and debris everywhere, but that was all thankfully. We were without electricity from about 8pm but it was back on when I got home from work the next day. I was thankful for that because the last set of storms that went through we were without electricity for 2 weeks. That was rough.

JoAnn said...

I'm glad you were safe and didn't have major damage. Feel so bad for all the folks still without power...

Debbie said...

I'm glad you were safe too. I was away from home and didn't see the news except hit and miss, but I thought of all you guys. And yes, being without power-how horrible!

Tina said...

Vicki, I'm glad you fared ok in this storm. I can't Ben imagine 2 weeks without electricity! Yikes!

Joann, there are still a few thousand without, I know they must be feeling disparate and wondering why they don't have power yet, it's now been a week.

Debbie, thank you, we had a scary night but we are fine, thankfully!

Katherine P said...

I'm glad you are safe and have very little damage! It's amazing how much damage hurricanes can cause. I have family in south Mississippi in an area hit by Katrina and you can still see damage 10 years later. I'm glad you didn't lose power and all is well!

Debra Eliotseats said...

I think there are boneheaded drivers everywhere. Here, they seem to come out in mass when we have ice. Glad you're safe. (I was worried about it coming up the coast and shutting down flights last weekend!)

Seven Hour Lamb with White Beans <br>{ make that less than 2 hours in the Instant Pot}</br>

It's good to get back to posting about food after a short break. Next year I will be getting a flu shot; this bout knocked me for a loop...