Thursday, December 08, 2016

Healing Potato Mushroom Soup to combat violent illness
{Stomach virus medicine}

Yes, I am going to talk about soup again.  It suddenly took a starring role in our home.

What a week. Out of the blue my poor husband was hit by some heinous stomach bug - BAM.

 No warning at all. He's sitting at the table and then felt a flush of something completely wrong start at the top of his head and flush downwards. Within a half hour he was violently ill. From that time until 48 hours later he'd probably lost the stomach contents of anything he'd eaten since 6th grade.

Yes - that violent. Suffice it to say I made great use of Lysol wipes and the bathrooms and counter surfaces are cleaner than they'd ever been!  I couldn't afford to catch that bug - someone needs to be well enough to make soup.

  potmush1

 While he was sleeping (that was movie, right?) I caught up on reading. Lots of reading. Between washing my hands more than normal, disinfecting surfaces, laundry and reading.........I made soup.

It was decided a homemade Potato Mushroom soup would be a good initial meal to reintroduce food to his empty tummy.


. potmush2

The bonus was using the slow cooker.  This doesn't cook for a long period of time so it was beneficial that I could be home, attending to the cook time.

Potato and Mushroom Chowder

Ingredients

1/2 cup onion chopped
1/4 cup butter
2 TB flour
1 tsp salt
a pinch of black pepper
1 cups water or broth (I used broth)
3 cups sliced mushrooms
1 cup chopped celery
2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups milk
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Method

In skillet saute the onions and celery in butter.  Remove from heat and add flour, salt and pepper.  Stir and place in slow cooker.  
Add broth, potatoes and mushrooms.  Cover and cook on low for 6 hours (or high for 4 hours).  When cooking time is done add the milk and Parmesan cheese.  Cook on high for 30 minutes.

Serve to sick person with freshly baked bread.  Then shoo the person back to bed to rest some more.


Linking up with Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sunday series. The linkup for this week may be found HERE

SouperSundays

5 comments:

  1. Very funny post about a not so funny event :)

    So sorry your hubby had to go through that, happy that you didn't.

    The soup looks good but I'm not a fan of mushrooms. I could probably replace them with something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how awful! Your poor husband! Stomach bugs are the worst and I definitely agree with your desire not to get the nasty bug. While I'd give you my share of the mushrooms this sounds tasty and perfect for a poor mistreated stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sounds like a roto virus! Those stomach viruses are terrible! Glad he is feeling better. I know he enjoyed the soup.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much! He's feeling much better and about back to normal. Now I can make enchiladas, they won't induce a gag after such a sore tummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you didn't get the bug yourself--it sounds pretty awful. Thankfully you could make this healing soup which looks delicious. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........