Saturday, January 14, 2017

Fall River Vegetable Soup

First off let me give a shout out to a friend who is going through a difficult time.  Mrs. L,  you have been in our thoughts.  Wish we could hand deliver this soup to you ♡♡♡

Soup.  That word is conjured up as a comfort food, don't you think?  It is certainly soup weather now here in the northern hemisphere.  I know my food buddies in Australia and New Zealand are enjoying summer but....that's not the case here!

asoup

 When it's chilly and the wind cuts through you as you are walking the dog back from her usual route....you think about hot comfort food. Also, in spite of my husband and I being Government Drones, a workplace one would think has basic amenities like HEAT.....not always the case.

Last Monday we arrived to very cold offices. At 8:00 a.m. the thermostat read 59 F (15 C).  It did get up to 64 before we decided to take leave time and go home.   It's just not acceptable when you are sitting at a desk most of the day.  Everyone was wearing a coat, some had hats and I tried to type wearing gloves.  That went as well as one may think.

I should mention that was an unusual day and while it is cold at work in December and January, that was an extreme.

portsoup2

So...comfort food.  I made a vat of soup for lunches during the week.  This is a recipe I had been wanting to prepare.  It had been languishing in my file of recipes to try.

 Here is the recipe I copied (via the iPhone) from the Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant cookbook.  It gives a bit of background about the area which I found interesting.  I used a bit less wine than called for and it turned out well.


fallriversoup


For Jo........

    . cwtch
 Linking up to Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sunday Series.
 Deb's linkup for Souper Sunday this week may be found HERE.  Join us!


SouperSundays

6 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious, warming, and filling for a cold, icy day (like today here). Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Saturday to you too, Debra! It's great for cold weather...any soup is actually 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good! I love soup but rarely made it because my son isn't a fan. I recently decided to make some if I want it and fix something else for him. Same with most veggies. He's not a fan of some of those either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Moosewood cookbooks--their soups are always so good. This looks delicious. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've eaten ham, vegetable and puy lentil soup this week. It's been delicious and felt warming enough to feed my soul too. Last night though was an unmitigated disaster as the gas container made the decision to run out 20 minutes into dinner prep (fish and fennel pie with a potato topping) and I didn't notice ... ah the joys of living in rural France! It was delicious, eventually!

    Thanks for your kind thoughts and lovely words, I hope you know how much your support is appreciated.

    Jo aka Mrs L xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vicki, I would definitely make the meals you want and just fix your son a little something else :-)

    Deb, Me too! They have so many good recipes and some of our favorite meals are from Moosewood. Like the North African couscous and Greek scampi. Mmmmmmmmmm

    Jo, Fish and fennel and potatoes? I am on that! That sounds great. We will always be here for you :-) We have an extra bedroom, did you know?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........