Friday, January 06, 2017

The latest outings: St George Island, riding and eating, Cuban Cuisine

Over the holidays we decided to take time off.  Best idea ever - we love being off work.  Who doesn't, right?  Every year our annual Christmas Eve ride is planning according to the weather.  This past December 24th we decided to take a long ride to St George Island and get some seafood.

The weather was great all the way down highway 65 and quite warm.  Once we turned on Hwy. 98 we ran into fog.  Lots of fog.  The temperature dropped fairly dramatically and we were actually cold.

a2
 Normally you can see the water and the long bridge connecting the island to the mainland from quite a distance.  This fog was so dense.  Here is what it looks like on most days, photo below.


bridge

It was rather ghostly with the fog.

a3

So, the plan to sit on  the patio at The Blue Parrot and stare at the Gulf waters and sandy beach was thwarted,  You couldn't see the lower deck where people were dining.

 I snapped this from the trike as we were rolling down Highway 65. I love the trees lining both sides of the road.  As a matter of fact, I was able to get a video while we rode by and the curve of the fender made it look like a fast moving Ferris wheel of trees.  Quite pretty.  I don't know how to upload that video here.


 a1

As we all tend to do on vacations, we ate out a few times, probably more than usual.  Bonefish Grill is a nice upscale restaurant in Tallahassee so one day we decided it would be fun to eat at the bar, sip a beer and enjoy.  Doug had a burger and I had fish tacos.  It's my mission, evidently, to try fish tacos wherever we go.  In search of the perfect combo.  This definitely ranks in the top 2.


a4

Another place we have eaten recently is the Habana's Boardwalk Cuban restaurant. I was always on about Gordo's restaurant but lately, they have gone downhill. Habana's in AHmazing. This grilled fish dinner was not expensive and you get fresh seafood, quality ingredients.

A good portion of fish with peppers, onions and tomatoes in a wine sauce.  Plus black bean soup and Maduras for only $14.99.  A bargain.

  habanas

Lately I have been spending more time on my book site but I want to keep updating here as I would a diary.  Also, I am a sucker for journals and recently had quite a few very cool new notebooks given to me.  So ...my focus had been elsewhere.  But I'll be back.....here.  Hopefully more often.

Linking up to Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sunday and with Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series.
 SouperSundays

13 comments:

  1. I love these posts you do about your trip and eating adventures!!

    I used to go on a lot of day trips, either with my youngest son or daughter. But we haven't done that lately. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too enjoy your traveling posts Tina. You guys always seem to have such fun! Mike and I are heading south hopefully within the next couple of weeks. I can't wait! I'll be looking at your past posts for tips!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure are determined when you get out on the road! More unstoppable than the proverbial postal service. I'm glad you were rewarded with such delicious meals.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to do a lot of day trips but fell out of the habit. Now you make me want to restore that habit. Maybe we'll go somewhere tomorrow!

    Oh and did you write about your notebooks somewhere? I want to know about them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all! Vicki, we try and take some little jaunt every wend, weather and time permitting. Even if it's just a short ride instead of a destination.

    Louise, we don't go too far down 98 as we need to get back to Aja before nightfall but there are loads of places you can visit along the Forgotten Coast further west.

    Thank you, Mae, we sure try!

    BFR, I started to write about the notebooks, I even took photos, but didn't think it interesting to anyone but me. I have since discovered there are many people, mostly women, who love notebooks and planning and organizing. I will post about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun road trip! I love a good fish taco as well, and have my scale for restaurants. Lucy's here makes the top on my list. No Cuban food in Hawaii though :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Envious of your road trips! Even the foggy ones. Not a big fish eater here but those tacos and that last dish look AHmazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All that fog looks so creepy and atmospheric! We're so far away from the coast that are fish isn't exactly fresh so I don't eat much of it though those fish tacos look so good! I love Cuban food so adding Habana's to my list just in case we ever get down that way. We have a Bonefish Grill here but I've never been. You've got me curious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a fun trip. I must confess that I havent tried Cuban food before. I am a bit partial to fish tacos though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pics Tina! I love fish tacos and Cuban food. One of my favorite is "Moros y Cristianos" ;-) I'm a book blogger too so, tet's see if I can find my way to your book site :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ride sounds fun but col--so I am sure the black bean soup and other good food was welcome. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a difference foggy weather can make to a view.
    I have never eaten Cuban food but looking at the menu it seems similar to Spanish family cooking - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone!
    Mrs L., it's very similar to Spain's cuisine but I think the rare some slight differences. I don't know if they have plantains in Spain? The greener ones are cooked and called Tostones, salty and crunchy, and the ripe ones are Maduras, like a sweetened soft banana. So good.

    Deb, I have a vegetable soup going for this week's linkup!

    I will find you, Dragonfly ☺️

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........