Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Stir - Eggs, Rice and Veggies

Back in January I had a good time reading Stir by Jessica Fechtor and making a few of the recipes from this remarkable memoir.  The author mentioned one of her favorite toss-together meals was leftover rice with egg and vegetables. Since reading this I have made this simple stir-fry several times.

Turns out it's a go-to for me when there isn't quite enough rice to make a second appearance as a side dish. Or there are just a few stray vegetables in the fridge.  Or if my husband is out of town and I am feeling magnificently lazy about cooking - yes, this is it.

{Since Doug is out of town and I planned an evening of reading, this worked out well.}

I had a few cherry tomatoes and a half of a yellow bell pepper.  Some black beans and that little bit of rice .....how easy can this get?!  It's a stir fry that takes under 10 minutes.  Once the veggies are softened I crack one of those luscious free-range eggs in the middle.


meal2

Just use the spatula to make a part in the mixture. and drop the egg in that space.  I am soooo very lucky that a lady I work with has free-range chickens.  The eggs I buy from her are large and the yolks have that rich orangey yellow color.  I am fortunate.

Once I had a few asparagus stalks and a lone zucchini - that one was a good combination.  Sprinkle some Parmesan on it and you are ready to roll.  You could even drink a glass of white wine with this meal.....just sayin'.

Linking up with Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series.




 .  

12 comments:

  1. Your free-form recipe is very attractive! I can see how many diverse leftover menus could emerge, deliciously.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I'll be making this soon, for lunch or dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Mae and Vicki, I love a quick but healthy meal. Gives me more time to read :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I loved Stir but don't remember that. That'll be fantastic in the summer especially when I have lots of leftover odds and ends of vegetables. You are definitely lucky to have a source for eggs! I buy ridiculously expensive "pasture raised" eggs at Whole Foods because that's the closest I can get here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katherine, If you have a Trader Joe's near you the eggs are good. Cheaper than Whole Foods too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Stir! And I like your stir-fry with its farm-fresh eggs.

    In re box wines: doubt we would switch to box wines only, but it's nice to know there are some varieties that will work for parties or to have on hand for cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great "go to" meal or side with a bit of fish. I often do fried rice with egg fried first like an omelet, then slivered, but this is much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stir was a goodie! Love freeforming food. cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Someone just donated a copy of Stir to the Book Cellar, I may have to grab that one up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes the simple meals are the ones that are the best. I'll have to check out her memoir!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, ladies! Free style cooking can be the best for sure 😊

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........