Sunday, February 11, 2018

Taco Salads, Olives and Foxes

Here we are on a late rainy Sunday afternoon.  Tristan is coming over to dinner tonight so that will be nice to catch up with him.  I baked a French loaf and brownies so far.

Fox news - I think I am obsessed watching these foxes every night.  But I'm like that with the deer or the few turkeys we've seen, the occasional elusive bobcat.  26 years living out here and I never tire of the wildlife. We have watched a family come eat, sometimes it's only one fox, other times I see two large ones and a tiny one waiting on the sidelines until it's his turn,  Today I had the binoculars out and watched this area of toppled trees.  We had trees cleared a few years back and this place looked like cave the way the trees settled.  A big fox came out and walked along a tree laying over the "cave."  It was exciting,

Taco salad and martinis....This week was one of expectation and a bit of disappointment here and there.  Overall, it's a lesson to double check things ahead of time.  I was craving a taco salad so we went to one of our favorite restaurants.  We hadn't been there in a while so I ordered the taco salad I wanted but failed to read over the new menu carefully. 

Last time it came in an edible bowl but this time it was far too much lettuce and no bowl.  All plated up instead.  While it was good with a choice of beef, chicken or black beans (I opted for black beans) it left me wanting the tortilla chips or tortilla bowl.

IMG_0632

Next time I think I will try the taco salad at Peppers or El Jalisco.  And maybe I can make one at home sometime too.  Lesson here is, read the menu carefully or ask questions.  Still it was a good salad.

A martini.  I have been craving one since we watched Mr. and Mrs. Smith a few weeks back and finally grabbed a jar of fat olives for the garnish. Doug makes a great cocktail and this one was a beauty.  But I  forgot to check to see if that jar of olives were pitted.  They were not.  Insert frowny face now!

    IMG_0633

 This horrific mistake has been rectified and I expect to have a great martini this evening after dinner.  Lesson here is, pay attention to labels.

The last two movie nights we enjoyed featured Casablanca and Indiana Jones.  For the Friday action flick (Indy Jones) we had bagels, Nova lox and sushi.  Fun evening!

IMG_0627 IMG_0629

I've been spending more time reading and updating my book blog lately and afraid this old blog has taken a backseat. If I don't keep up regularly I may take a break for a while.  We shall see.

Hope all is well in your world. Now that we have proper olives all is well here.  Just baking breads, reading and working.  Looking forward to time at the bay near St. George Island coming up.

 I'm joining Deb at Kahakai for Soup Sunday this week. Check out her linkup HERE with the Potato Leek  soup with fried capers.


. FullSizeRender (5)

8 comments:

  1. We have a few foxes that I catch glimpse of now and then out my living and dining room windows. One is a brilliant deep red and the others are red tinged with grey - I assume they are older. I never get tired of watching the wildlife, we don't have bobcats though, just foxes, squirrels, deer, all kinds of birds and the occasional coyote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be watching the foxes too--how entertaining.

    Sorry your taco salad wasn't what you were hoping for. Hope the next one is better. Thanks for sharing with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AGCR - We hear the coyotes too and that can be a mournful and primitive call.

    Deb - but I saw a good taco salad elsewhere this weekend and am making plans to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watching foxes is really exciting. I've hardly ever seen one. Watching Casablanca is also pretty great! I love that movie.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do the foxes not drive your dog crazy? We had a fox that took up residence in our back yard and our dog about lost her mind! I love Casablanca! I watched it a few months ago with my Grandfather and then back in January when my daughter was there we watched it all over again. I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. And you've got me wanting to rewatch the Indiana Jones movies! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mae, our woods are crawling with the foxes. We actually saw two chase a bobcat one day, very rare event to see all that in one day. I agree about Casablanca! We also watched African Queen a week later. Classics.

    Katherine, the Indy Jones movie was great for an action movie night, I recommend it. It stood up to the test of time. No, the dog watches the foxes if we are in the fenced back yard but she doesn't bark. I mean....ever. Shiba inus don't bark every often and I think we have only heard Aja bark 3 times in the 11 years we've had her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debra - do you know I didn't even think about the news network when I said that? LOL

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........