Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Assembly Line Chicken Enchiladas


I Mexican Food!  

While it's fun to go out and enjoy it, it's not that difficult to prepare at home.  Also, it's cheaper to make (obviously) so let's talk fake-away!  Why spend the cash on takeaway meals when you can make your own and add extra of what you like!


Photos of this meal always grabs my attention.  These enchiladas are juicy, just spicy enough and packed with protein.  Two kinds of black beans - regular canned and a can of re-fried black beans plus chicken.  Yes, protein packed.

ench

It's not hard to put together but you do use a few dishes to sort out the ingredients.  No matter, while these are baking you can load up the dishwasher or hand wash the lot. 
First you make your assembly line.  Rice, the combined black beans, cheese, chicken or tofu and sauce.  Use a plate to hold the tortillas as you make layers.

enc6


This is what the stuffed enchiladas look like before you pop them in the oven.


enc5

And here they are after baking for a half hour.  Ooey and gooey and cheesy.

enc1


If you are having weather decent enough to sit outside then by all means, this is a lovely meal to enjoy while listening to the night birds.  Pour me some wine!


enc2enc3


One of these fat enchiladas is enough for a meal. I served this with avocado quarters.  Can't remember which wine we opened but it's more than likely a red blend.  Love those red blends.

  enc4


Chicken Enchiladas

2 cups cooked rice
2 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained
1 15 oz. can refried black beans
a package of cheddar or taco shredded cheese
1 10 oz. can of medium enchilada sauce
6 flour tortillas

To prepare you will need to have all these ingredients in bowls so you can make an assembly line.  First I placed roughly a quarter cup of sauce in the bottom of the casserole dish.

Now place a teeny bit of sauce on the tortilla followed by some rice, beans, chicken and cheese. Roll it and place in the pan.  Repeat this five more times until you have 6 fat enchiladas. Toss some of the leftover cheese over the enchiladas and bake, covered at 350 F for 25 minutes.  Pull foil off and bake another 5 minutes so the cheese is almost browned.

Wait 5 more minutes to extract an enchilada.  Watch out, they will be hot and sear your mouth!  Serve with avocado or salad.  Wine was nice too.

I am sharing with Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series.

10 comments:

  1. I ♥ Mexican Food too! Pinning this and adding the ingredients to my grocery list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mexican food is a favorite around here too and I haven't made enchiladas in forever! I like the homemade version better because I can change things up to suit my preferences a little bit easier. This is going on my menu for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki, it's an easy meal and oh so good! Let me know how you like it.

    Katherine, hope you enjoy it! I had enough of the ingredients left over to make 4 more for a lunch while we were off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love enchiladas and these looks so good -- I'm definitely giving these a try. Black beans, chicken, cheese ... yummmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so great! Enchiladas are definitely one of my favorite things to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did that assembly last night! Only with some nice tender pork loin, sauteed onion, cheese and salsa sauce on top! Great minds here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't had enchlladas in a long time.... Cheers from CArole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love enchiladas and your recipe looks wonderful; I'm pinning it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, ladies! I love this simple meal but Mexican is a favorite so...winner :-)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........