Saturday, July 21, 2018

Greek Chicken and Chickpea Salad

This recipe came from a book I checked out about Power Bowls.  The combo of these ingredients called out as something nice and cool to have during the steamy summer months.  It's actually meant to be combined together, without a carb, but I kept the salad separate from the chicken.  And I served with rice and homemade bread so.......I broke the carb rule straight away.  That was for a dinner.


  Greek Chicken1

The pitch for this salad/power bowl is to help build and repair muscles after a workout.  It's (evidently) rich in amino acids and has fresh nutrient rich vegetables,

That's all well and good but while I'm not a couch potato, I am not a gym rat either.  Something decidedly in between with a penchant to cook and create.

I was going to say the heaviest thing I lift is a book but that's not true.  Aja weighs in around 34 pounds and she needs to be carried out to our field in the mornings so she can do her business.  A Shiba Inu is repelled by the wet grass, as magnets with like poles trying to connect.  Doug and I take turns each morning before we get our walk in. This goes on all summer. C'mon cooler temps!


ajapawcrossed

Anyway, I used extra tomato and feta and just about the entire can of chickpeas.  For lunch the next day we both mixed all the ingredients up as the power bowl idea, except we mixed in the rice too.  Great lunch.  This is fairly quick and easy, transports well if you keep the dressing separate.


Greek Chicken2


Greek Chicken and Chickpea Power Bowl
(deconstructed)

For the dressing:
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
pinch of oregano
salt and pepper

For the salad
1/2 cup diced cucumber
1/2 cup diced tomato
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/4 cup diced red onions
1/2 cup cooked and shredded rotisserie chicken breast
1/4 cup diced olives
1/2 cup chickpeas
2 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese or feta cheese


1. Combine all ingredients for the dressing, whisk and set aside.
2. Combine all the salad ingredients in a bowl, mix.
3. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well. Chill in the fridge for at least 15 minutes



 Linking up with Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series  and Deb for the Souper Sunday event at her place.  Check out her Corn and Tomato  Soup with Basil  HERE.  Join in at Kahakai Kitchen!


FullSizeRender (5)

8 comments:

  1. Hahahaha, you rule breaker! I like the versatility here -- and would have likely done the same: served separately with a grain for dinner; mix together for lunch. In either case, I bet I'd love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very delicious looking lunch! I'm glad you aren't stuck on those silly health fads. Carrying a heavy dog sounds like the perfect exercise.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greek food is always our favorite. Everything looks delicious-

    ReplyDelete
  4. The salad looks delicious. I love Greek flavors and I am happy to sprinkle feta on everything. ;-) Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do that a lot for summer dinners; cheese of some sort, maybe a grain like bulger or pasta, some left-over chicken or tuna, veggies - mix it up in a bowl, and now we've got the perfect name for it. A Power Bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose it is the feta that makes this Greek. Good idea for a quick meal using rotisserie chicken. Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks amazing but I'd have to sub for the feta, me no likey!

    I've always thought Aja weighed more than 34 pounds from seeing her photos. I love how she's posed in this one, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I have a can of chickpeas that I've been trying to think of something to do with since I'm the only one who likes them and this sounds perfect. I think I'd put everything together but I'd add a piece of naan or flat bread too. To funny about Aja and wet grass. I had a Sheltie who refused to get his feet wet and it was both hilarious and maddening.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........