Friday, September 14, 2018

Potato, Corn and Mushroom Soup
{basically cleaning-out-the-fridge soup}

I think I need prettier bowls for work lunches.  In an effort to be greener, zero waste, I use real bowls instead of paper or Styrofoam.  But I need some variety so I guess I'll go bowl shopping for a prettier Souper Sunday presentation!

This past week it was clean-out-the-fridge time and the orphaned veggies found themselves dropped into a soup. Sometimes those kind of soups are the best - no recipes to follow, just chop and dice whatever yummy vegs you have on hand and go from there. (Another bonus for zero waste.)

soup1

This time I had potatoes, 4 ears of yellow corn, roughly 8 ounces of white button mushrooms, an onion, garlic, and 2 carrots on hand.  My crispers are now cleaner and ready for refilling.

Basically I sauteed all but the potatoes for several minutes.  Then I added potato chunks and enough vegetable broth to cover the potatoes.  Let that simmer until the potatoes are tender.  Mix in a big spoon of flour and slowly add milk to thicken.  I also used oregano, bay leaf, parsley, salt and pepper.

It made enough for two days lunches for us.  Once Doug retires I will divvy  up the lunch fixings so he can heat some at home and I take some to work.  Now that will be weird after eating lunch together for decades.   More on that later.

For next week I am working on a soupy chicken curry.  Love a curry.

Linking up with Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series and Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for Souper Sunday.  Check out her Lentil Soup HERE





9 comments:

  1. Yes, clean-the-fridge soup is often the best! Yesterday lunch I started with a boxed tomato soup and added various leftovers — same idea and a good one.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. the leftover veggies that you find in the fridge usually make a great soup. It looks delicious and hearty

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite kind of soup, definitely. I've had the opposite change: after decades of my husband eating on the job (I work from home), now he's usually here for lunch. It's been hard to get used to eating lunch in the kitchen instead of in my home office while wandering around the Internet or listening to an audiobook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made one of those this week as well, and called it minestrone! A very handy catch-all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny how clean-out-the-fridge soups seem to turn out so well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not really sure why but we haven't made much soup this winter. There's still time I guess but the weather is starting to get a bit warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do fridge soups - and fridge bakes too. Hate waste. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make me laugh about your bowls. ;-) I like the pretty blue color. ;-)

    Clean-out-the-fridge soups are always my favorites. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Other than the mushrooms this looks tasty! I'm super curious about the soupy chicken curry. That's a favorite of mine too! I imagine the lunch change will take some getting used to. J used to come home for lunch but when he changed offices it just isn't possible and lately he hasn't really had time for lunch at all.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........