Thursday, October 11, 2018

In My Kitchen -October

In My Kitchen - The October edition hosted by Sherry.  I'm scheduling this one in case the storm knocks out our power.

 UPDATE: Today is October 11th and we are in a hotel.  Had to evacuate our home because of Hurricane Michael.  As it stands right now our county of residence is under a curfew so we can not return yet. Fortunately the hotel could give us an extra few nights. I am still posting this for Sherry's In My Kitchen and I sincerely hope to find these items below just where we left them!  More later..........

Some of my favorites on the stove top. My much loved Le Creuset dutch oven that I bought in Destin Florida on a vacation. There is a shop dedicated to Le Creuset wares and I had a time looking through it all.  Finally settled on this 5.5 quart red beauty.  It's used quite a bit and I take very good care of it.

Behind it is a tea kettle our son bought us for Christmas one year.  that gets quite a bit of use for tea in colder temps. The hot pad was crocheted by sister Linda back in 1993.  It was our last visit prior to her death and she knew it, so she bought yarn and made me three of these hot pads.  The other two have raveled badly but this one lives on!


imk1

Here is the pot getting action in prep for a Curtis Stone recipe - Brazilian Chicken.

imk2

Homemade sauce, pasta and wine makes good comfort food.

imk3

Weird little olive spoon made it's way into the house and can be handy for fishing an olive out of the jar.  The olive picks are from World Market, little seahorse designs.


imk4

And here are the speared olives in a Tanqueray gin martini.  My husband excels in the martini making.  So cold and tasty.

imk5



Linking up with Sherry's Pickings for her In My Kitchen series and Beth Fish Reads for Weekend Cooking.  I HOPE to get back with updates soon.  We never did have good internet connection at home so while I am in a hotel I am taking advantage of it.  But truth be told, I'd rather have spotty service and be home.  Fingers crossed/


SherrysPickingsInMyKitBadge02-Final-250pixels

12 comments:

  1. Tina! What a worry for you. All my thoughts are with you and yours - and your house! Kia Kaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sense of equilibrium is remarkable. I hope you'll find your house -- and all your kitchen things -- in perfect order when your streets are clear enough to let you return. All my best thoughts to you!

    mae

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that red pot. My mom made those crocheted hot pads too.

    Praying your home and all your things are safe. My friends son lost his house, his belongs, and his business.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how lovely to have that reminder of your sister. thanks so much for joining in this month even tho you are not allowed home (yet?) must be a worry for you. I have an olive spoon or 2 just like yours. so very handy for getting out those recalcitrant little olives. Hope you are home now and all is well. cheers sherry x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina, I'm hoping and praying that your kitchen and your home will be intact. I'm glad you found a place to hole up during the worst of it, but waiting and wondering aren't fun. Your LeCreuset is beautiful and so is that special hot pad. I also loved your olive spoon and picks (and martini!) -- my sister used to give me olive-related gifts before her death (2014) and I treasured all of them. Gorgeous bowl of pasta, too! Be safe and let us know how you're doing after you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the peek into your kitchen and hope it's just the way you left it..

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to see your update on Instagram that your house is still standing. Hope things are OK and that the electricity comes back and you're back to normal soon. Thinking of you! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay that that house seems to be in one piece. And hoping you are home soon. Love your olive "tools" so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tina, what a catastrophe! We've had several hurricanes threaten Hawaii this year, but all downgraded to tropical storms. I'm praying that your home will be fine and no losses!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh goodness we have been watching the footage of Hurricane Michael on the news here in Australia and I hope everything turns out ok for you. Dedication still writing an IMK post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking forward to an update... guess you haven't been able to go back yet. Thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Tina - thanks for leaving a comment on my IMK post. I can see that you have been very busy with 'the storm'. I have one of those olive spoons but have never used it as it's made of wood and a little too big for a jar. I got it in Italy so I suspect it's designed for big barrels however there's no room for that in our pantry! It's funny to see you mention Curtis as he pops up here all the time in ads for Coles Supermarkets.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........