Wednesday, January 02, 2019

One Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta from SkinnyTaste

January 3rd already.  My 10 days off work flew by.  I'm considering it retirement training and I can tell you, I excelled at it!  Camping and lots of cooking, lots of walking and wonderful company.  Life is good.

Today let's talk about healthy meals and cookbooks.

I checked the SkinnyTaste One and Done cookbook out of the library as I’ve been a fan of the website for quite a while. I’m thinking I may need to buy this book!  Checking cookbooks out of the library is nice as you can preview the book.  Have you ever looked forward to one and only found a few recipes you'd actually like?

So far we’ve tried three recipes from One and Done and every single one has been incredible. It's divided by topics such as pressure cooker, slow cooker, stove top, Dutch oven, Air Fryer and sheet pan.

SkinnytasteOneandDone_frontcover

My favorite so far - One Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta is a winner! This is another recipe which most certainly will be on the meal rotation.


fajitaCorkscrew Pasta

from the SkinnyTaste website and cookbook

INGREDIENTS:
2 tsp olive oil
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 large white onion, sliced
1 large red bell pepper, sliced
1 large yellow bell pepper, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chicken broth
1 (10-oz) can Mild Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles
7 oz pasta corkscrew pasta
1/2 cup sour cream
1 scallion, diced
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (I left this out)
diced avocado 

DIRECTIONS:

Season chicken with 3/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp chili powder and 1/4 tsp garlic powder.
In a large deep nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over high heat. When the oil is very hot, add the chicken and cook until browned, stirring about 5 to 6 minutes.Transfer to a plate and set aside.

Reduce heat to medium, add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil to the skillet.
When the oil is hot, add the onions, bell peppers, and remaining 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp chili powder and 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp salt. 
Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes.

Add minced garlic, and stir until fragrant and well combined, about 30 seconds.
Remove from heat and transfer to the plate with the chicken.

In the same skillet, add the broth, diced tomatoes and uncooked pasta. 
Stir to combine and bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 15 minutes until pasta is tender and liquid is mostly absorbed.

Add the chicken and veggies back into skillet, stir to combine until heated through, about 2 minutes.

Mix in the sour cream and top with scallions and cilantro. Serve with avocado.

Coming up I will try the Tandoori Chicken from the sheet pan section.

Sharing with Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series.






9 comments:

  1. Yum, but I'd probably leave out the pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have fajitas every Tuesday and they're a favorite around here but I love the sound of this pasta! I really like the one pot focus. I need more one pot recipes in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those fajitas look very good! It's interesting how fajitas were first a rather exotic restaurant dish (I first had them served on a smoking hot and sizzling metal dish) and have become mainstream home cooking.

    Your approach to cookbooks is quite different from mine. I have dozens of them from which i haven't ever made a recipe, but I like to read them and find out what people from various cultures and sub-cultures like to eat. I also have some cookbooks with favorite recipes, of course, but I'm always trying new things so I don't have anything like a rotation of food.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicki - you might need to substitute rice though. It may be too liquidy without the bulk.

    Katherine, on pot meals are a fav of mine. This is exceptionally good!

    Mae - First time I ever had fajitas it was sizzling on a metal serving plate. Fun food. Oh, I have so many cookbooks, some like yours where I don't use the recipes but read about the culture and food from the area. But I need to downsize so books and clothes and other things are leaving the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea of mexican/southwest flavors and pasta, though I like the idea of subbing rice. Everyone always raves about Skinny Taste! I really need to check out a cookbook from the library. I'm like you -- I have a mix of cookbooks to read and cookbooks to cook from -- and I agree that sampling them before buying often makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do that as well, check a recommended book from the library first and see just how much I like it. Unused books on my shelf are getting shuffled over to the book exchange store.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found this at our library and put a hold on it. Normally I borrow e-books but it doesn't work for cookbooks. I like the hard copy!!

    Retirement is a wonderful thing, you'll have no trouble sliding into it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a big fan of her recipes, but haven't taken a look at this book yet. Will look to see if the library has a copy so I can preview it before buying... have ended up purchasing her first two.

    Retirement training is a good idea! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. BFR - I think rice would substitute nicely. You need the bulk in this one tough. I can't wait to have this again!

    Claudia - I used to send the books to the used book store for a credit but lately I have been leaving them in our work break room.

    Jackie - I agree, I need to color photos and flipping through the pages of a cookbook.

    JoAnn - I haven't seen her second book yet. I like this last one quite a bit. And yea for retirement training! The time goes by so fast when I'm off with Doug. We would love to travel.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........