Thursday, January 17, 2019

Shepherds Pie Stew

Is it cold where you are?  Here is a hearty and healthy stew to warm your bones. Those of us in the Northern hemisphere have varying degrees of cold weather and north Florida isn't an exception.  This version of Shepherd's Pie Stew is a snap to make.

shep2

This gnocchi was found in the refrigerated section of the market.  Chop and measure your ingredients ahead of time and it's a quick meal to prepare.  This is the first time we have had a soupy/stew version of Shepherd's Pie.  Usually we have beef or lamb or chicken with the massive amount of veggies and cover it all with mashed potatoes. 

shep3

I added more peas than it called for, by accident, not because I love them.  I mean, I don't hate them either but when I add more of anything it's usually mushrooms or tomatoes or corn.

shep4


Shepherd's Pie Stew
adapted from SkinnyTaste: One and Done

1/2 TB olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 large carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey (I used ground chicken)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup chopped mushrooms
2 TB all-purpose flour, wheat or gluten free
2 teaspoons tomato paste
5 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce - I always use more!
1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary
1 teaspoon thyme
1 pound fresh or frozen potato gnocchi, gluten free
1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
1/2 cup fresh or frozen green peas

In Dutch oven or large pot, heat olive oil.  Add carrots, onion and celery and cook until they start to soften.  Now add garlic, turkey, salt and pepper - brown meat and break it up with a wooden spoon or spatula, getting smaller pieces in the stew.

Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and cook, stirring.  Once that is mixed in add tomato paste, chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary and thyme.  Stir well.  Bring to a low boil and immediately reduce heat t simmer.  Cover and let flavors meld, about 10 minutes.

Stir in gnocchi, corn and peas, cook uncovered according to gnocchi package directions.  This is usually 4 minutes or under. 

We served this with a fresh loaf of bread and it was incredibly filling. Pity I didn't snap a photo of the soup in a bowl.  It's a pretty presentation, if I may say so :-)


Sharing this yummy stew with Souper Sunday at Kahakai Kitchen this week.  
Check out Deb's Pinto Bean Soup this week.







9 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I'm going to give it a try... thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JoAnn - I've been perusing the SkinnyTaste cookbooks but this particular recipe isn't on her blog. It's very good, please let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The name "shepherd's pie" now seems to refer to any meat: originally it was only used for lamb (because shepherds). And "Cottage Pie" was the same preparation of a pie topped with mashed potatoes on any other meat. But words change all the time ... who thinks of shepherds? This looks good!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could eat soup/stew every day! Love the idea of using gnocchi for the potato part. I'm on the hold list for SkinnyTaste One and Done, but your posts have me thinking I should just go ahead and buy the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of using the gnocchi in this soup for potatoes. I need to try gnocchi, I think, also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made a hamburger stew last night. My mother used to make this and I still enjoy it. Quick and easy and add whatever is on hand.

    Being away I miss my pantry of spices and grains. We are eating a lot of fish when we are out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom used to make a Shepherd's Pie casserole with mashed potatoes on top. We loved it. I love the idea of this soup. So clever to use the gnocchi!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too funny--I used gnocchi in my tomato soup this week. Great minds! ;-) It looks really yummy. Thanks for sharing at Souper Sundays.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........