Friday, June 21, 2019

Hawaiian Chicken

I think this was dubbed Hawaiian Chicken because it has pineapple in it. You know how that goes - if something uses olive oil and/or olives it's considered Mediterranean.

This is one of those recipes in the overloaded folder that we have tried, and forgot about for years.  It looks a mess cooking but it's very good.  It's a one pan dish except for the rice you will want to serve along with it.  There is so much sauce and it's very good on the rice.

  haw2


Hawaiian Chicken

4 legs and 2 thighs (but I use 6 thighs)
a little bit of vegetable oil 1 cup BBQ sauce
2 tbs cornstarch
6 ounces crushed pineapple
1/3 cup water
salt and pepper


Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet. Eventually you'll need to cover the skillet so select one with a lid. Brown the chicken pieces. Mix the other ingredients into a bowl or 2 cup measuring cup.

  Warning - it will look seriously unappealing and you'll give a thought about eating such a concoction. Sally forth and pour this over the chicken. Let it simmer, cover the skillet but check on it now and then so it doesn't burn. While this is simmering make your rice and side dish.

Depending on the brand of BBQ sauce you use this can have a slight kick. It's easy, fast for those workday evenings and reheats well too.

Sharing with Beth Fish Reads Weekend Cooking Series. 


wkendcooking

6 comments:

  1. I think the best tasting foods are the ones that don't look so pretty! I love chicken and pineapples so I think I'd like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a decent cook and baker but I can't make pretty food to save my life! This looks delicious but my husband has a deep dislike of pineapple juice. Apparently when he was a kid he used to love Hawaiian rolls but after he read the package and saw they had pineapple juice in them he refused to eat them and hasn't had one since!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rediscovering old tried and true recipes. Thanks for the warning about how it will look. My husband loves pineapple and chicken thighs, so I may have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see how this would really taste good! A lot of people are making their own bbq sauce and I bet that would be even better than the sauce from a bottle.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all for the nice comments. I am just getting back online after a bit. Eye surgery! All is well and I will be making the rounds.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........