Sunday, March 29, 2020

Oven Baked Potatoes from Tasting Paris Cookbook
{great as a side dish!}

The last time I was at the library I saw this book displayed in the cookbook section. The cover immediately grabbed my attention and I decided to bring it home. If you have ever looked at Clotilde Dusouliers website Chocolate and Zucchini and you liked it, you will enjoy this book.

By the way, the last time I was at the library I wish I had picked up more physical books and DVDs as they have been shut down for two weeks. Obviously no fines are accruing and we have more time to read the books we checked out, watch the DVDs as well......but now I wish I had checked out more. Oh well.  We are all in the same boat.

1335CEA5-5D46-4E8D-93C1-1E5FDC08EF71

The first recipe I tried was oven baked potatoes.  They are almost the same as the way I prepared them and while tasty and crispy, Doug said he liked my old version better.  They are pretty though, don’t you think?

A14C95E1-8E04-4191-ABFB-4A7D9CDD9648

Doug grilled burgers while heated fresh corn and made these potatoes.  Then we sat outside to escape the hot kitchen as the oven was cranked up to 425 F for 20 minutes.

Not like you need to twist our arms to eat outdoors.

1215CE9B-55CC-4D1F-BFEB-02CA8105010C

Aja always joins us and gets treats while we eat. Just the three of us hanging out now and its fine with all of us.  Peaceful.

A8054F5C-7C32-4FF1-A7AF-50F848192628

The basics of this recipe is cutting white potatoes (I used Yukon Gold) into long strips roughly 1/2 inch thick.  Then you parboil the potatoes for 5 minutes, drain and place lid on pan, give it a good shake for 5 seconds.  According to the recipe this makes the potatoes fuzzy.  Not sure what that means but I will tell you what that did. - it made some of the potatoes into a mushy texture.

While the potatoes were boiling you were to preheat the oven to 425 F and place a rimmed baking sheet in with 2 tablespoons oil to get hot.  Ok, back to the potatoes - now you carefully drop the potatoes onto the hot pan and yes, they do sizzle and splatter a bit of oil so, careful there!   Bake for 20 minutes.

I won’t deny these were good and they were crispy but I won’t shake the saucepan next time so the potatoes can keep there shape.

The rest of the book is very pretty, lots of interesting recipes and photos.  In times when its hard to get some ingredients the recipes here aren’t as practical.  If you want a dose of beauty in food photos and do some armchair traveling to Paris, definitely check this book it of the library.

Sharing my burger and fries with Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for Souper Sunday.

9 comments:

  1. The fries sound good and that burger looks yummy! I made shoestring potatoes in my air fryer for the first time a few days ago and they were so good I made them again the next night. Aja is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicki, Aja rules our lives! We are also caring for a cat that turned up, it was abandoned and clearly someone’s pet. It’s still wary of letting me get too close right now.

      We had a few people tell us an air fryer was great for cooking fries.

      Delete
  2. Those fries are pretty and look pretty darn delicious. Thanks for sharing them and the burger at Souper Sundays this week. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As groceries get stretched it will be interesting to see what soups we come up with , ha!

      Delete
  3. Fuzzy? Not that's a culinary term I haven't run across before! They do look good, though. I need to try to make some hamburger buns so we can grill out! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I never heard the term fuzzy in regard to cooking either. They were good all the same.

      Delete
  4. The burger looks yummy! We may have to have burgers soon! We are having oven fries with sticky chicken fingers (panko crusted chicken fingers in a spicy sauce) tonight if I ever get cooking! I'm not sure I've ever heard fuzzy used as a cooking term but I'm intrigued by this method! And it definitely looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sticky chicken fingers sure sound good too. We are eating all meals at home now, sitting outside when we can. We used to go out to lunch once a week but not now!

      Delete
  5. Somewhere (can't remember exactly) I recently read a long digression on how you should rough up the outsides of potatoes before roasting them in the oven as in this recipe. The goal was a crispier texture. Sometimes the cookbook and recipe industry gets these ideas and we just have to wait until things go back to normal. Which is what we are all doing anyway, waiting for normal or maybe a new normal.

    Be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........