Saturday, July 18, 2020

Pasta Aglio E Olio inspired from the movie Chef

We watched Chef starring Jon Favreau and I have to say, there were enough foodie scenes to make anyone hungry, even if you'd just eaten a meal.  This had us craving a true Cuban pressed sandwich as soon as we could get out and get one.



Weeks and weeks back, before Florida was this bad off with virus cases, we did manage to get that delicious pressed Cuban.  I had missed getting out a little so it was fun dining in a restaurant.  They were only seated at 25% capacity so we were very good with that.

There are many dishes in the movie to make you say "I want to try that" and so I decided to look for a few recipes related to the scenes.

Remember the scene with Chef Carl Casper preparing a simple pasta dish for the hostess Molly in his apartment kitchen?  The reclining Molly, played by Scarlett Johansson, watches as the garlic simmers, the pasta is tossed in the oil.  Once it's beautifully plated, she leans forward and takes a bite, closes her eyes and you just know it's incredibly delicious.  It's a sex scene for the palate.


I honestly didn't have any hope I could fork this pasta into the coil Chef Casper presented in the bowl.  I gave it a valiant effort and it wasn't too bad.  Not the same presentation as his but I did get it stacked. Yea!


  AC3CC082-7B14-46BF-8BE0-C53400D2555F

This is a vegetarian meal but you could make it vegan if you left out the Parmesan cheese.  It would make a huge difference in taste and consistancy if you did leave that cheese out.  So, just don't.


Pasta Aglio e Olio

1 pound dried spaghetti
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
12 large garlic cloves, cut into thin slivers
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
Sea salt
Ground black pepper
1 cup fresh parsley, minced
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
2 lemons



  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and add the spaghetti, cooking until al dente, 8-10 minutes. Drain.
  2. Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir frequently until the garlic is golden brown. Add red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
  3. Add the drained spaghetti directly to the pan. Toss until spaghetti is thoroughly coated with the garlic oil.
  4. Remove pan from heat, add the parsley and Parmesan and toss well. Check for flavor and adjust the salt if necessary. Squeeze lemons on to taste. Garnish with more Parmesan.
NOTE:  I cut this recipe in half as it's just the two of us.  It made enough for a dinner and a good lunch as well.  If you like pasta and garlic you will enjoy this meal. Simple ingredients and quickly prepared and served.




20200627_182735

18 comments:

  1. You do make it sound wonderful! Simple but great flavors. I’ll have to look for the movie, too.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, it's a very good foodie movie. You will be hungry.

      Delete
  2. I've copied the recipe and am looking forward to making it. The movie does sound delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia, it's a movie that will make you hungry for sure.

      Delete
  3. The recipe and the movie sound good! We live near Miami and I know people rave about the Cuban food! Being vegetarian and gluten free, I don't often find much for me. When we visiting Cuba 2 years ago, we asked where we could get a good mojito- they said the best mojitos were in Miami!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, you were able to go to Cuba?! That would be a cool trip. You could always get the beans and maduras :-)

      Delete
  4. This is so similar to a recipe I just discovered last week (and have made twice). I'll try to share it tomorrow. I think the only difference is the garlic. So good with grilled salmon or shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, I will come visit yuo and check out your recipe.

      Delete
  5. I love this movie. Great food and great music! This look so delicious. One of the joys of past is how simple a great pasta dish can be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg, I agree. It's a dish we will have again one day. It's also nice to watch a feel-good movie during these times.

      Delete
  6. It's funny I say I don't like pasta, but I do like cream sauces.
    That's a great movie, I should watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I love that movie. So much food.

      Delete
  7. One cup of olive oil? No wonder it was so good! ;) I'll just enjoy this dish vicariously through you and Scarlett Johansson! I love pasta and Parmesan minus the tomato sauce. We watched the movie Chef last year, I think, and I ordered a Cubano sandwich in a restaurant afterwards. It wasn't as good as the ones made in the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, I cut it back, I mean even with halving the recipe I thought that may be too much olive oil. It was very good though and I'd make it again.

      Delete
  8. oh yes a fun movie! i loved his food truck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, one of my favorite foodie movies. It's all postive and sometimes we need that in our lives.

      Delete
  9. Ah, ok! This sounds like my German friend's favorite pasta dish! She raves about it all the time. I Googled recipes for it and, like the one you posted, they always call for red pepper flakes. She said when you order it at a restaurant in Germany (or make it at home) it always uses some kind of spicy red pepper that is a whole, fresh pepper that you slice. I have never seen such a pepper here in this rinky-dink town in rural Arkansas so it will have to be red pepper flakes for me, if I ever make this yummy recipe.

    I think you did a GREAT job with your presentation and I remember that scene in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jinger, thanks so much for the nice comment. I love that movie! This is an easy recipe so you ought to try it. Easy to twirl into that spiral too :-)

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........