Wednesday, November 25, 2020

What's Going on in November......
Reading, watching, eating, planning

Happy end of November!  This was a month that I'd like to see the end of yet we have some fun things planned coming up. 

Books and Movies / Recently I had an email from Thriftbooks, a site I like for purchasing gently used books and movies.  The theme in one email was about books which were made into movies or television series.  Nick Hornby had been on my to-read list for a while and I haven't gotten around to him. Yet.

I hadn't heard of High Fidelity but the description about the movie plot had me intrigued.  The library had a copy and I can say we throughly enjoyed it. Haven't read the book and probably won't now. 





The movie was set mostly in a record shop - remember those?  Anyone? What a blast from the past.  John Cusack was great as the narrator and there was so much music. It's 20 years old so some things were dated but certainly the music was not. We listen to quite a bit of music here, especially older blues recordings.

This month I have enjoyed the following books:

I am planning on starting the Tana French book The Searcher over the Thanksgiving holiday.  Hoping for some quiet time with the book and nature. 

In  & out of the kitchen / Chicken, Mushrooms, Spinach and Orzo is a creamy dishy that's easy to prepare




Pad Thai is a treat for us. This is one of the times we decided to venture out and get a favorite from Thai Kitchen.  The wonton soup is very good but you can get a ginger laced salad instead if you'd like. This is the best Pad Thai we have found locally.




More than ample portions and some came home for a lunch serving.


Planning / I am putting this in writing as I hope we will follow through.  We went to the nursery recently and saw an impressive concrete dragon.  It inspired us to look around for an area to place it at home and surround it with flowers.  Step one will be getting some very large trees taken out which are near the house. 



After Hurricane Michael, which caused us to evacuate, we realized the big pine trees within striking distance of the house need to go. Adios. We were fortunate that any damage was away from our house. So, once they can be removed it will change the amount of sunlight hitting in areas where we want it. Then....the dragon garden!
Goal for that is January.


We are still missing Aja but as time passes it gets a bit easier.  Hoping for a calm and safe Thanksgiving week. This post is scheduled as I'm not sure if we will have internet connection later in the week.   If I don't get back to you right away, that's why.





6 comments:

  1. I love Thriftbooks! They have some great deals!

    I haven't read any of the books you mentioned.

    I need to hang the new bird feeder in the backyard. I had to buy one with a squirrel guard because one chewed a huge hole in the other one and all the chickens that roam the neighborhood at it all.

    I've never tried Pad Thai but I think I'd like it since I love that type of food.

    I hope it doesn't cost you as much as it did us to get some trees cut down and removed, it was ridiculous!

    I'm so sorry about Aja! I still get very teary when I think about my childhood dog Buffy. And I still grieve for Patches. It's not as painful, but it's still there. I think it always will be. That's ok though, it's because I loved them so much. HUGGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, Thriftbooks has been a great thing for me during lockdown. I have gotten some great deals. Pad Thai is one of our favorites and we try it at any new place which offers it.

      Thank you for your sentiments about Aja. It's getting easier but she was certainly missed during our first trip without her on Thanksgiving. We took the plant the vet's office sent and so she was with us in spirit!

      Delete
  2. I hope you enjoy all the books on your list. I have read only The Searcher; the others are unfamiliar. I like Tana French a lot, and I hope you will enjoy it. The movie sounds good too.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I hope you and yours had a great Thanksgiving. We didn't have a signal at Manatee Springs so the lack of internet was a nice break, but now I am catching up.

      Tana is one of our favorite mystery authors, loved the book.

      Delete
  3. Oh, that orzo dish looks amazing! I'll have to give it a try. Love Pad Thai, too, but it's been a while since we had it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, the orzo dish is so easy, it's grat to make when you are short on time.

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........