Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Nigella's Crisp Chicken Cutlets

 The last week of December - finally an end in sight to the worst and weirdest year we have experienced. 

Usually this time of year I see posts about new year's resolutions.  Not so many of those posts this year, at least the places I have been surfing. The only commitments I have made are for book challenges at my new book blog. 

Last year I decided I would learn the language of crochet and that was an epic fail.  The Bella Coco site is fabulous of explaining the crochet stitches and has helpful videos.  Sadly I only watched 2 and am still hooking using my amatuer stitches.  Oh well.

Recently I started browsing the Nigella Express cookbook again, remembering some of our favorites I'd prepared in the past.  That inspired me to make the buttermilk chicken cutlet recipe.  The recipe calls for chicken breast but that involves slicing the meat for thinner portions and pounding them into thinner pieces.  I thought, screw that, I'll just use cutlets. 

Worked brillantly.


Nigella suggests serving with salad but I opted for baked sweet potatoes and pole beans. We were so ravenous when we sat down to dinner that I was about to suggest we eat two cutlets if we were still hungry.  No need, this was plenty filling.


This was easy to prepare.  Either the night before you plan to have this, or in the morning,  place the cutlets in a freezer bag with 1 cup of buttermilk and 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce.  Place that in the fridge and let it marinate all day. 
The recipe calls for 1 TB of Worcestershire but I always add extra. Love it.

When you are ready to fry the chicken you will need to set up a dish of breadcrumbs to coat the cutlets.  I used 1 cup of plain breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and a bit of red pepper.  Not too much pepper, just a tiny amount for kick.

Coat the buttermilky cutlets in the bread crumbs.  Fry up 5 minutes or so per side.  I used vegetable oil for the frying. They were quite tender but be careful not to overcook. 

This is my last post for I Heart Cooking Club  and Weekend Cooking in 2020!



14 comments:

  1. You have a new book blog? Tell us more!!!

    You are right, nobody is talking about new year's resolutions. What would we resolve anyway? Get out more? Watch less TV? Get more exercise? Wait, what?

    And that chicken looks delicious.

    Have a great New Year's holiday and stay safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I see what you mean about resolutions after the year we have had. I do hope to cut way back on the wine consumption.

      Delete
  2. We just started watching Mind of a Chef, the Ludo edition, so I am really getting into fried chicken. :) Let's all have a merry end to this weirdest year on record. I really hope we're not putting all our hopes and dreams on 2021, though. Be safe and well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, I have not heard of that show. Oh hopefully 2021 will be much better. I hope you had a good end of the year.

      Delete
  3. Yum! I need to start going through my cookbooks again now that I have access to them. Hopefully that will kind of kickstart my cooking enthusiasm. Nigella's recipes are always good and this sounds delicious. I always use more Worcestershire sauce too! It's one of my favorite ingredients. I love just the smell of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, it does make a difference and as soon as it hits the hot pan the aroma is wonderful. I have an advanced copy of Nigella's latest cookbook but it doesn't have too many recipes I'd try. I love her older books.
      Happy new year!

      Delete
  4. I had a few things I was going to do in 2020 that I never got to. No idea why, I had plenty of time at home.
    No resolutions here. There is a list in my head but I just take baby steps at a time.
    I have a new cookbook that I need to start looking through.
    I think this recipe would work with chicken thighs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, yes I think thighs would be good too. I prefer the thighs to the white meat as it doesn't dry out as quickly.

      Delete
  5. I haven't thought about it but now that you mention it I haven't seen anyone talking about new year's resolutions including myself. Your recipe looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't made any real resolutions this year, either, but I feel like I might still. What's the rush, right? We're not going anywhere. I laughed when I saw you mention "epic fail" for crochet because I posted about epic recipe fails for Weekend Cooking today. I did look back at blogging and reading resolutions that I posted (publicly) two years ago, and, yeah, that's probably why I shouldn't do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, I like to post my failed recipes too so I can learn from them. That or never make it again.

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........