Friday, March 12, 2021

Papas Rellenas

 Last week I promised I'd make Papa Rellenas from leftover Piccadillo.  The recipe in my cookbook Clarita's Kitchen calls for a sautéed mixture of peppers, onions & garlic for the filling but I opted for a recreation of the version I had in Ybor City two years ago.

Here it is plated.  I made these a bit too large and still had some Piccadillo to serve on the side.  This is very filling. I have my wonderful sister-in-law Barb to thank for her advice on the preparation. 



I used a potato ricer to prepare the cooked potatoes instead of my mixer. Less cleanup and the texture was fine.

Once you have the potatoes mashed/ riced you add your fillings, seal the edges and dip in an egg wash. Then you  fry the potato cake. Turn them over gently to brown all edges.


This isn't a great snap to see the filling but I was hungry so....I just tucked in :-)


I've been meaning to try this for ages and am very happy I finally made this yummy lunch. It could be a dinner as well. Also, using only veggies as the filling will accommodate vegetarians.


Sharing with Marg at The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking



 






9 comments:

  1. Great looking, comforting food here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything with potatoes -- especially mashed potatoes -- AND I like picadillo, so I would really adore that dish! Looks beautiful.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Potatoes are my favorite veggie, so I would like this recipe I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! I haven't tried them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being Irish, I love potatoes! These sound like my Irish potato cakes. I've never usera ricer, I usually mash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! These look sooooooo good. I'm not Irish, but I do love potatoes. Mr. BRF is the potato masher in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks stunningly delicious! Thank you for sharing! What is it about potatoes, I could eat them everyday...

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband would enjoy these so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made your delicious picadillo last night, so now am prepared for this one. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........