Sunday, August 29, 2021

The last Sunday Salon in August

Sunday already....this week went by fast.  We've had many afternoon storms and loads of rain.  That doesn't compare to what others are dealing with now though.  My heart goes out to those in the path of Hurricane Ida.  I hope evacuations were swift. 

Here's the roundup of this week.

Listening / Duffy, Shirley Horn, Duke Ellington and a few more I didn't write down. Rather an eclectic collection for the week.  We enjoy listening and sipping an adult beverage after dinner.





Sipping / I tried a few different whites and Rosés lately as it's hot and I am a seasonal sipper.  Love reds but they seem so heavy. Whites are refreshing right now.

Bread and Butter is a California Chardonnay.  Appears I like the unoaked Chardonnay wines much better.  This isn't a drain wine but I will continue to look for unoaked in the future.



This French Rosé Côtes-Du-Rhône is very quaffable and refreshing.  Can be dangerous but most nights I stick to my two glasses. A good patio wine.


Reading/ on the book blog Turn the Page I added Northern Spy by Flynn Berry and a Masterpiece Theater book.  There were more books but these two stood out.  I plan to get all of Flynn Berry's books coming up.  This one was set in Northern Ireland before the peace agreement.  Currently enjoying a nonfiction by Dr. Eric Manheimer titled Twelve Patients: Life and Death at Belleview Hospital.


Watching / We finished up 2 seasons of New Amsterdam which is based on the Manheimer book above.  Started another series recommended to us called Fargo. The first season was good and kept our interest.  Very dark humor and lots of bad guys.  The second season was a bust for us so we quit watching. 
Pity the same characters weren't in the second season.

We are lucky our library gets movies and series for us to check out.


Coming up we are planning a trip to visit our son - haven't seen him since 2018 when he moved away. Hope I didn't curse it by mentioning it.  We are vaccinated but who knows what can happen these days.  I told my doctor we were going to Omaha and she said, "Great!  Out of Florida is the safest place for you. " Such is life now.

Sharing with Deb at Readerbuzz for Sunday Salon.




12 comments:

  1. I love New Amsterdam and am waiting for it to come back on, I haven't read the book though, haven't decided if I want to or not.

    I hope you have a fun and safe trip to see your son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, how many seasons are out now? We could only get the first two and I’d love to see season 3.

      Delete
  2. We chatted about this on twitter, but I've got Twelve Patients pretty high up on my tbr list and now I'm hoping to find the first two seasons of New Amsterdam.

    We've tried that Bread and Butter chardonnay, too, but it is a little too heavy and oaky for my taste. We've been trying some white bordeauxs lately... very good. You can't go wrong with rose Côtes-Du-Rhône either!

    Hard to believer we are just a few days away from September... Have a good week, Tina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn- white Bordeaux! I will look for that soon. The unoaked Chardonnays are my favorites. Not a fan of the oak in wines.

      The book is good, some stories are so sad. We have watched the show before I picked up the book.

      Delete
  3. Somehow I manage to drink both reds and whites no matter how hot it is! We were just saying we should also get some rosés.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I used to drink any of the wines but my taste/preferneces have changed. Ever since I had to do a 6 week round of different antibiotics a year ago my palate changed. I no longer drink bourbon and I previously enjoyed that. Funny.

      Delete
  4. I love how you shared the wines you have tried lately. My nephew has a wine store, so I'm always trying wines he imports. The French Rosé Côtes-Du-Rhône sounds especially good.

    We are hoping to go see our son in Chicago in September. Like you, we haven't seen our son for a long time. I hope it works out. We will drive, and it's a long way.

    Life and Death at Bellevue Hospital sounds interesting. I'm eager to hear more, Tina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, the Rose is good and so refreshing. I wonder if I will get into reds again once it gets cooler. Right now the whites are doing it for me.
      I hope you get to Chicago and enjoy a wonderful visit with your son. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  5. I'm curious what you mean when you say a wine isn't a drain wine? Also, I'm glad to hear that someone else enjoys more than one glass of wine. I try to stop at one, but I have one while I cook another with my meal.

    Have a good trip to Omaha. I used to live in Lincoln, so I know that airport very well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, I mean the wine wasn;t so bad I let it drain intonn the sinnk. We have had a bottle or two of those but it's been awhile :-)

      Delete
  6. All of my fingers are crossed for your visit with your son. That's great that your doctor is positive about the trip - have to be good for your peace of mind. I saw one episode of New Amsterdam when it came out and enjoyed it though I'm not sure it's the show for me right now. That's great that your library is prompt about getting new shows and movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, we are very much looking forward to the Omaha trip! I have been to the horse races in Lincoln when I lived in Kansas, just an hour north of Lawrence, but otherwise never have seen Nebraska. It will be so great to see our son and granddaughter again.

      Nope, I wouldn't try New Amsterdam just yet if I were you. It's a good show though and maybe in the future. At least several seasons will be out by then.

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........