Sunday, December 12, 2021

Searching for the perfect grilled cheese sandwich

 I think many of us have had the comfort combo of grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup, especially when we were kids.  Well I know I did.  When we watch the movie Chef I am always drawn to the ridiculously lovely grilled cheese Carl Casper prepares for his son.


Finally I decided to try a different take on plain old American cheese on weak bread.

For this one I used Muenster, Swiss and gouda.  The bread is Martin's potato bread.




Seriously ooey and hard to keep inside the bread so...don't cut it in half as I did.


Next on is made with sourdough bread and a combo of four cheeses.
Baby Swiss, Sharp American, Gouda and shredded fresh Parmesan.

I added the fresh Parmesan after it started grilling, sprinkling a bit on top before I added the other piece of bread.


Winner.  The bread is thicker and absorbed some of the cheese so it all stayed together very well. Great crust and not too brown.


Both are very good but the sourdough did hold up better. Continuing to explore more combinations,  probably to the detriment of my cholesterol levels.

If you haven't seen this movie, and if you like foodie movies I suggest you do, there is a plethora of food inspiration.  I have made the Pasta Aglio E Olio and it came out well.  

Sharing with Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for Souper  Sunday 



18 comments:

  1. A grilled cheese sandwich sounds really good right now and I love that movie. Thanks for sharing with Souper Sundays this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, it's always fun joining in with Souper Sunday!

      Delete
  2. I love grilled cheese but I have never liked tomato soup.
    I haven't seen the movie and since I'm not working today I'll watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I hope you like the movie, it's one of our favorites.

      Delete
  3. I've loved grilled cheese since I was a kid but not tomato soup. Every few weekends I'd go to with my mom & dad's best friends kids to their grandparents house and she'd make us grilled cheese and tomato soup. I ate it because she made it for us but didn't like it at all. Glad my mom and dad never made us eat anything we didn't like. If she made something they liked, like liver and onions, and we didn't like it she'd make us something else.

    I haven't seen that movie so I added it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, wow, you really do hate tomato soup!

      Delete
  4. It's just about lunchtime and my mouth is watering! I don't have the variety of cheeses right now, but even a "regular" grilled cheese would be welcome...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, if you use more than 2 cheeses you'll need a hardy bread. The sourdough works very well!

      Delete
  5. Oh, yum! I know what I'm fixing for dinner tomorrow night! (Tonight we're going out to celebrate my birthday.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many ways to make grilled cheese sandwiches! I love to add a tomato slice.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I like tomatoes on sandwiches so that would be a good addition.

      Delete
  7. I love grilled cheese and tomato soup though it's been forever since I've had either and especially as a combo. The 2nd sandwich sounds especially amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, the second one is The One. Sourdough makes a huge difference!

      Delete
  8. Mmmm I know what I'm having for breakfast today....I wish we had some sourdough in the house but all we have is some thin, Killer Dave's multigrain bread. And I think the only cheese we have is Monterey Jack, Cheddar, and Velveeta. Not as gourmet as I would like, but I do love me a Velveeta grilled cheese. LOL That one you made on sourdough would also be the perfect combo for a tuna melt with avocado.

    I love tomato soup but it has to be the creamy kind...more like tomato bisque I guess. We have a little cafe at our Town Center that makes the perfect tomato bisque with basil.

    I saw the movie Chef in the theater and loved it.

    I will now click on that pasta recipe link and see what THAT is all about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonger, try it with Dave's bread anyway, I bet it's good.

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........