Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Donna Hay's Baked Carbonara

I think I need an online break. You ever feel that way? Kinda meh...(shrug of shoulders). Maybe it's the weather.  

Anyway....let's talk pasta as it's one of my favorites. I want to talk about something I enjoy and for me, it's pasta.  I had the benefit of growing up in a suburb south of Philly and visiting my friends' Italian kitchens. Friendship and great food.  ♥ There are times I get nostalgia about Pennsylvania but I realize my memories are from a time long gone.  Things wouldn't be the same now, I know that. Doug and I considered moving to Philadelphia when we were in our early thirties ...obviously that didn't pan out.  Now it is too much snow and cold weather for us to think about a move like that.  Who moves from Florida to a place with snowy winters?! Don't want that. (See.  I am very grousy today)

The point of this post is to hook up with cooking clubs so, pitter patter, let's get at 'er.

This week I had already planned a Ramen noodle stir fry and later on revisiting Jacques Pepin's Penne with ham and vegetables.  While perusing a Donna Hay cookbook I saw this baked carbonara.  So I switched the menu around.




I couldn' possibly ask Doug to eat three different pasta meals in one week so something had to wait.  We did the Ramen and then turned out I didn't have all the ingredients for the Pepin recipe so.....Baked Carbonara!

We love this version and plan to have it again sometime. Highly recommended for anyone who loves a good pasta dish. The Donna Hay cookbooks are good.


Baked Carbonara

Cook 14 ounces of ziti or fettucine (I used penne and a bit less than the called for amount). Drain and set aside.

Cook 6 chopped slices of bacon until crisp. Whisk together 4 eggs, 1 cup cream (I used half-and-half) and about 1 1/4 cup milk and 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese.

Place pasta in large ovenproof dish, top with bacon and egg mixture. Bake at 350 F for about 30 minutes.

See you in February!

Sharing with I Heart Cooking Club and  Marg at The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking series.






16 comments:

  1. I like pasta once in a while but could eat a good ramen dish every day! My daughter and her family used to LOVE pasta and ate it many times a week, but they have cut back on it some in the last few years.

    Would love to see you post the Ramen recipe sometime soon because now I'm craving Ramen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel. I grew up in Ohio and I get home sick sometimes. Luckily I have sisters still living there and a nephew that bought a condo there that everyone in the family uses when the go there for vacations. I've probably told you this before but my daughter in law was born and raised in Philly. She has family still there and goes for a week or so about every year. She and my son want to buy a house there and turn it into a B&B to rent out when they aren't there.

      Who moves from Florida to a place with snowy winters?! I would like to if it keeps getting as cold as it is now. If it's this cold I want some snow!

      Delete
  2. That looks like a very rich dish! Must be yummy.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pasta, too, and have been craving it lately. Probably because it's been so cold - for here anyway ;-)
    I made Ina Garten's Weeknight Bolognese a couple of days ago, but would love to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! That's my kind of comfort food! I made homemade Mac & Cheese (Martha Stewart's recipe) the other night and we've been enjoying the leftovers all week long. Time to get back to salads and seafood. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that looks amazing! I love carbonara and I've had good luck with the few Donna Hay recipes I've tried. I'm barely making it through a North Alabama winter so I think a Philadelphia one would be the end of me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love pasta but limit to once a week or less. We lived in the suburbs of Phila half the year and the other half in Miami area. It works for us since our kids are still in Pennsylvania and New York. At one time we thought it might be fun to retire in center city Phila but once Covid hit it was out of the question. Everyone wanted out of the cities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor John, he loves pasta and I am not a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, this one I am saving! I love penne, I think it is the chew factor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have leftover ham from dinner, I'm going to make this with ham. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so warming! I loved pasta and so does my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That baked pasta looks delicious! I have been craving carbonara since listening to Taste by Stanley Tucci last week, but I've never made it. This recipe sounds so easy, and we have bacon in the fridge! Not sure what we have on hand for pasta, but I'm definitely going to look!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an incredible looking dish and one I have to make very soon when I'm feeling better! If I had all the ingredients I'd be making it right now.

    I completely understand the online break. I feel that way from time to time myself. I've been down and out with covid for the past two weeks. It is not treating me well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whenever I cook a Donna Hay recipe I always think I must cook more. And then I don't for months. It's a vicious cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. it was great having a 6 week blogging break. i recommend it! good old donna hay! such a popular aussie cook. we are staying away from pasta atm, so this sadly isn't on my eating plan.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks delicious. I'm going to pick up ingredients today. I hadn't heard of Donna Hay, but I collect cookbooks and just ordered Basics to Brilliance.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........