Wednesday, July 20, 2022

A Cook’s Tour by Anthony Bourdain

 A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain is the latest selection at Cook the Books. Our host is Claudia at Honey from the Rock and her announcement may be found HERE.


Anthony Bourdain is the bad boy of the kitchen chefs. He could be obnoxious, crude and yet entertaining. The chapter called where food comes from was a bit gory. Did I ever feel bad for that pig and apparently, so did Bourdain.

One of the stories I enjoyed the most was called West Coast. He told how he managed to get a reservation at the French Laundry bringing his friends Eric Ripert , Scott Brian and Michael Ruhlman.  He worried Thomas Keller would not allow him to get a reservation and thought how he could accomplish this. Apparently the French Laundry reservation list can be a difficult and lengthy process as many people want to eat there. As Bourdain needed a camera crew into the kitchen as well as the dining room, having Keller approve this seemed like a doubtful proposition. Obviously he managed it.

The chapter titled back to the beach where he and his brother returned to a family home was excellent. They rented motor scooters, they went to small bistros, they enjoyed stinky cheese and baguettes, Bordeaux reds and oysters. 

That chapter made me think about the Williams Sonoma cookbook, Essentials of French Cooking.  From this book I prepared Tomato and Eggplant Tian.

Here it is fresh from the oven.  I will certainly make this again.  It's vegetarian and could be a main course but I served it as a side.


Tomato and Eggplant Tien

2 small globe eggplants

4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

salt and pepper

6 ripe juicy tomatoes

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon fresh thyme

1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped

1/4 cup coarse dried bread crumbs

1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces

Preheat oven to 400 F.  Trim stems off the ends of eggplant then cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices. Arrange slices on a bakiing sheet in a single layer.  Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. I lined the baking sheet with parchment paper and that worked well.

Cook until eggplant is slightly browned, about 15 minutes. Turn slices over and cook 10 minutes longer.  You'll be glad you used parchment paper so it doesn't stick.

Meanwhile, coarsely chop the tomatoes and place in a bowl with their juices. Add salt, pepper, garlic and thyme.

After the eggplant is removed from oven, raise temperature to 450 F. Coat a gratin dish with olive oil. Arrange eggplant slices in the dish, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle with half the basil. Spread the tomato mixture over the eggplant, lifting the slices slightly to allow juices to run underneath. Sprinkle evenly with bread crumbs and dot with butter.

Bake until tomatoes are bubbling and bread crumbs are browned, about 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining fresh basil and serve at once. 

This came out well and I can recommend the recipe.  It doesn't call for Parmesan cheese but a sprinkling of fresh parm over the hot dish was good. 

There is still time to link up at Cook the Books - go check it out! Much thanks to Claudia at Honey from the Rock for hosting.

Sharing with:

Cook the Books 

 Marg at The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking



I love eggplant.


18 comments:

  1. Your recipe and photo look totally appetizing -- I'd love to eat some! When I bake eggplant slices before putting them in a casserole, I use a silpat baking mat. No worries about sticking!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mae, I love eggpplant and this recipe is light and flavorful. I also have a silpat and forgot to use it!

      Delete
  2. The Tien looks gorgeous though I'm very suspicious of eggplant. 9 times out of 10 the texture messes with me. A Cook's Tour does sound good. I listened to a Bourdain book years ago (not this one or his first one but can't remember what it was called) and found it absolutely fascinating. His appreciation for food yet his ability to stay honest is impressive. I need to get this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, it was a good read overall. For eggplant you may want to bake first instead of frying.

      Delete
  3. Bourdain was a complicated man. Love the look of your tien! So summery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have another eggplant to use up and some tomatoes. Your Tien looks very appetizing and would be perfect. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judee, thanks so much. I am a big fan of eggpplant.

      Delete
  5. This looks so good! Thanks for sharing with Weekend Cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love eggplant as well! My husband can't figure out why, or why mushrooms either. Unless, of course, there is hamburger in the recipe to make it worthwhile! It can be a tricky vegetable if not cooked right. Your Tien looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claudia. That was a great pick for the CtB selection.

      Delete
  7. I love Bourdain. Your dish looks delicious. Love that you went French!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, I was torn between French and a Vietnamese dish.

      Delete
  8. I love eggplant and a tian is a great way to prepare it. I love my Williams Somona cookbooks too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, it was a good dish and easy to prepare. Williams Sonoma cooksbooks are wonderful!

      Delete
  9. The chapter in Bourdain's book that you highlighted appealed to me too. I can just picture him and his brother searching out those familiar places and not finding the mojo he remembered. This recipe for a Tian, I love except not liking eggplant, I'd substitute zucchini, which along with tomatoes is SO prolific here in the mid-Atlantic right now

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore eggplant and could easily devour your dish. I must try this inspiring recipe: thank you for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........