Tuesday, November 01, 2022

Apple and Honey Rice Kugel


 Finally I am able to try this recipe for Apple and Honey Rice Kugel found in Bon Appetit magazine.  I'd been meaning to try this for two weeks but things got in the way.  


As you can see from the photo above my dish was not the same photogenic display as the one from the magazine below.


Here we have it in a bowl - not the spitting image of of the magazine photo but not too shabby.

The verdict is a bit mixed on the taste profile with so many competing flavors.  We both like honey, apple butter, vanilla and cinnamon.  Sadly the mingling of all these flavors combined with the texture of the rice wasn't an overwhelming Oh-Yes-This-Is-A-Winner dessert.

So, you may ask, why would I post this recipe.  Because while I liked it only slightly more than Doug, it's not a recipe I will prepare again.  It's apparently a winner from Michael Twitty's cookbook Kosher Soul and it did make it into Bon Appetit so....here ya go! 

Recipe may be found Here as I don't want to type out all the steps/ingredients.

It's easy to make and if you do prepare it, please let me know if you liked it ;-)

Sharing with Marg at The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking.



5 comments:

  1. Looks good! I've only had one Kugel. My author friend Marlayne Giron (The Victor, and then Make A Wish (which she wrote after getting an idea for the book after meeting my husband and I. She came to visit us from California one Christmas and made a Noodle Kugel. It was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you would like one of the more traditional versions of kugel, a savory dish made with noodles or potatoes. Kugel is one of the traditional Jewish dishes that's been moving into mainstream American foodways. It started as a dish for the Sabbath, when there were restrictions on cooking, so food had to be kept warm in an oven that would be left on all day -- thus the kugel was baked for many hours from Friday afternoon until Saturday midday. This is really an interesting development!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big texture person so I don't think this would work for me either though all the flavors are some of my favorites. When I first saw the title of this post I thought it said Rice Krispies which shows where my brain is! I made rice krispy treats the other day and almost ate the whole pan on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The apples and honey make me think that this was a recipe for the Jewish New Year. I wonder what could be added to make it more of a keeper recipe. I've seen kugels like this with noodles but never rice. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kugel's are new to me..Thanks for posting about it even though it wasn't a keeper recipe for you!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........