Tuesday, February 07, 2023

Torte Rustica

This book has quite a few good recipes and all the ones I've tried so far have come out well.  This attempt at Torte Rustica turned out much better than my expectations.  Sometimes the book/magazine photo is gorgeous while my end results looks like I were roaring drunk when cooking.

And no, I don't get roaring drunk nor cook when sipping a glass of wine :-)


Here it is out of the springform pan and I thought it looked so pretty!

The recipe is below and it's honestly not difficult to prepare.  I did cut back a tiny bit on the cheeses using only half a pack of feta and a tiny bit less mozzarella.  When I mixed it up I thought it looked too dry and wondered if it would be moist when the cheeses melted. Turns out no worries there.

Yes, it was decadently creamy but not runny.  Easy enough to slice as if it were quiche. See photo for a slice, it was so good.

 😋👇👇👇




Torte Rustica
Culinary Journey to the Mediterranean cookbook

1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed, divided
4 eggs
2 packages (10 oz each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed squeezed dry
2 cups (8 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 8 oz. package feta cheese, crumbled
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 jar (12 oz) roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
1 egg beaten

Roll one puff pastry sheet into a 16 inch circle on lightly floured surface.  Press into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.  Leave a 2 inch overhang of pastry dough.

Mix 4 eggs, spinach, cheeses, bread crumbs and onion. Spoon half the cheese mixture into prepared pan.  Top with peppers than add the rest of the cheese mixture.

Roll remaining puff pastry sheet onto lightly floured surface. Cut out 9 inch circle. Place over filling, pinching edges to seal.  With leftover pastry you could make cutouts to top the torte if desired. Brush top of crust with egg, place the springform pan on a cookie sheet.

Bake at 425 F for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 30 minutes. Run knife along edges and carefully remove pan.  Serve warm. Makes 10 servings.

We served a hearty slice as it was dinner, not an appetizer, along with sliced cucumber, cherry tomatoes and tzatziki.






20 comments:

  1. That looks AMAZING! I would probably use half the amount of spinach that the recipe calls for, but it's definitely one that my family would enjoy. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Les! Not sure if using only one pack of spinach would work for the bulk, might not have enough "solids" to keep it togther for cutting. But who knows?!

      Delete
  2. Looks very good, I'm not a fan of feta though so if I make it I'll replace it with parmesan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, this probably isn't a recipe that would work with substituting parm for feta because of the melt factor. Just not one for you I guess.

      Delete
  3. Looks delicious - and I love the sound of all the mixed cheeses.
    Although a bit big for 1 person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, indeed it is too much for one but also for two! It's meant to be an appetizer but we had it for dinner twice and a bit for lunch.

      Delete
  4. This looks both delicious and elegant... will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, it's so good. We enjoyed it very much.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. You'd be very welcome to share with us, way too much forn two people!!

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love how it looks in the spring pan. I have some of the ingredients but not all.
    I would probably make a GF pastry crust. We would have leftovers too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, it was so good as a dinner. Like a quiche and so pretty. Good luck with the GF pastry and I hope you and John enjoy this one.

      Delete
  7. I have to say that your end product looks very professional and delicious! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good! I am cooking a lot of Italian right now from a new cookbook. I am planning to share about this book shortly!

    Thanks for sharing with Weekend Cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marg. I look forwrad to your new cookbook.

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........