Tuesday, March 28, 2023

House painting

Progress on the house - I need a better photo of the front but this is what I have on my phone right now.  Over a decade ago it was meant to be Cape Cod gray.  This looked more like a beachy blue.  


Anyway........ We had estimates for the gutters and house painting and are moving ahead.  If the rain cooperates it may be done in two weeks. Yea!

I called the company who did our remodel as they did a fabulous job of our kitchen and baths.  The estimator arranged for a painter and gutter installation guy come out to look around.  They turned their estimates in to the company and we had a bit of a surprise on the final numbers.

The man who has the gutter installation business was so nice and I decided to ask him for his estimate while I was waiting.  Well....turns out the company added $300 to his estimate as well as a $3,500 fee for project managment. 

We didn't mind a project management fee for the remodel where they handle the coordination of countertop people, cabinetry, flooring, painting, tiling and plumbing.  That would be a bit of a nightmare to handle all that on our own with scheduling.

This job was arranged with two phone calls.  Doug arranged a painting company who handles the wood rot and painting and I contacted the man who does gutter removal/installation.  We will pay them - avoiding the middle man.   I don't think it's worth spending an extra $3,500 for two phone calls. That would get us a new dining set which we sorely need :-)

Hoping for a dramatic change with Alabaster and black door and gutters. 

More later................


10 comments:

  1. I love that color! Can't wait to see the "After" photos and read your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki! So far the carpenter has been by and the painting starts on Monday!

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see the finished project. How crazy about the project management fee. Like you I can see if it was a full remodel with multiple contractors but this isn't that! That was so smart to talk to the actual owner of the company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, we were getting impatient to see what this would cost so I just texted the gutter guy and asked. Just so we could see what to expect on that part of the bill. Was I ever surprised when the construction comnay came back with a padded bill. Now I know to always ask for a copy.

      Delete
  3. Yikes! We did our kitchen for cash which I was feeling uncomfortable with, not seeing a breakdown. But we had used this contractor before and he gave me a rough breakdown of there the money went. I was able to break it down and justify it in my head. I also realized it was better to have him doing the coordinating of the different players involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I have no probelem with a project management fee for a big project like yours as we did that with a remodel of kitchen and baths. But house paintig and gutters were two phone calls so....handling this on our own. The painting should start Monday!

      Delete
  4. I agree with your decision to act as your own general contractor this time... well worth saving the money and making a few calls yourself. Can't wait to see the after photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JoAnn! It's moving faster this week.

      Delete
  5. You were wise to contact the gutter man (and painters) and deal with the job requests without going thru the contractor. That's a big chunk of change that you're saving for virtually nothing other than overseeing/coordinating two jobs that don't require that kind of management.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, we are happy with the savings! As I said, for a major project and coordination of several craftsmen I'm willing to turn over the reins but not for two phone calls!

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........