Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Making use of pantry and freezer items

This is another adaption of the North African Couscous recipe from Moosewood Cooks at Home.  This time we used scallops which were stashed in the freezer.  Winner!


Wine / As the weather changes we shift from reds to white. Here is a Chianti and Pinot we recently enjoyed.


Louis Latour Pouilly Fuisse is always refreshing on a warm night.


This salad was billed as Mediterranean and looked like a decent vegetarian offering from our grocery store.  We had been grocery shopping and saw this, picked it up as a quick lunch for when we returned home.

I realize I could have made a better salad at home but at least I know I can whip this up quickly.  Chick peas are always in the pantry, I usually have the cucumbers, tomatoes and red onion around.  The feta and black olives were a nice touch as well.


A few days ago we sat outside and ate lunch.  Now we are back inside as temps headed back to close to freezing again.  Oh well, it is March.





11 comments:

  1. That looks so good! I love salad and eat it often. I don't like feta or black olives but do love other cheeses and green olives so would use them instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, it was a mediterranean salad so I guess that's why they used feta. I can eat it in small quantities as it is salty.

      Delete
  2. I love feta, but not olives. Both are too salty for my husband's low-sodium diet, so I rarely have either in the house, but that salad does look good! So do the scallops. I rarely ever think to buy those (we eat a lot of shrimp), so I'll add them to my grocery list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wine selections look great. Those choices are often on our dinner table too!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mae. Eatiing lighter these days except for my pizza cravings now and then.

      Delete
  4. It's gotten colder here too and I am not a fan. Ready to get back to the nice spring-ish temps. I always forget about chickpeas which is odd because I love them and they work so great in a salad. Other than the olives the Mediterranean style salad looks amazing and like something I'd really enjoy. I'm trying to eat lighter and get more veggies in. So far I'm doing pretty good at the lighter but not so much about the veggies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, we had a tease of very hot weather - staying in the high 80s for a week or so - now it's 35! I know it's March but I'd love some warmer weather.
      We have been eating lighter in hopes of getting of blood pressure meds and so far so good!

      Delete
  5. Moosewood Cooks at Home has been a well-used cookbook over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love couscous and having it with scallops sounds amazing!

    I would eat a little bit of feta, but no olives here thank you!

    Thanks for sharing with Weekend Cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg, this one is an easy and fast recipe, recommended! I'll eat your share of the olives :-)

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........