Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Spinach Lentil Stew # vegetarian

This is a quick dish I made for a lunch one day that I'd been meaning to post.  I rely on my blog to look up some recipes instead of pouring through my hand written recipes stashed in a big notebook. This is hearty, full of protein from the lentils and fast if you use canned instead of dried.

Here is the photo - lentils with spinach, tomatoes and carrots over rice made a great hot lunch.  Served with warm naan and makes good leftovers.



I have the recipe listed below but admit to not using dried beans.  For a shortcut version I opened two cans of lentils and used vegetable broth rather than bouillon cubes. Those have way too much salt in my opinion.




Spinach Lentil Stew
from Taste of Home magazine

Ingredients

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

2 garlic cloves, minced

5 cups water

1 cup lentils, rinsed

4 teaspoons vegetable or chicken bouillon granules

3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 bay leaf

1 cup chopped carrots

1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained

1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Directions

 In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the water, lentils, bouillon, Worcestershire sauce, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil. 

Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the carrots, tomatoes and spinach; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until lentils are tender. Stir in vinegar. Discard bay leaf.

Linking with Marg at The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking


20 comments:

  1. I love lentils and spinach so this stew looks really good to me. I like that it has no meat. I'll make it soon. I also use my blog to look up some recipes. I've either posted them in the past or have written the draft and saved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, it's a quick one to put together if you use canned lentils.

      Delete
  2. Yum! I think lentils are a culinary powerhouse!! One of my favorite foods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BLD, thanks for the visit and I agree, lentils are great in so many dishes. Lots of protein.

      Delete
  3. That looks delicious and healthy. Bouillon makes things too salty for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, homemade broth is best but I get the low sodium from the market otherwise.

      Delete
  4. Canned lentils are very hard to find in the grocery stores where I shop. I was just searching Whole Foods yesterday where I am sure I found them. Looks like a good recipe, though!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, we have a fairly large selection in our market, I guess I'm lucky!

      Delete
  5. Yum! This looks good! I'd probably take your shortcuts as well. I hate messing with dried beans as I always forget and just never have much luck with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, we keep lots of canned beans on the shelf for hurricane season and it sure is a time saver with meals like this!

      Delete
  6. This looks good! I'll be making it in the next few days and will definitely use broth instead of bouillon. Might even try to throw it all in the crockpot after browning the onions and garlic...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Canned lentils must be regional, I have never spotted them in the market before, but that would sure be handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melynda, I guess they must be because I have seen a few comments about them being unavailable to others. It's a good staple for hurricane season or quick cooking.

      Delete
  8. That's exactly why I save recipes on my blog too! So I can refer to them later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg, when I have gotten frustrated with blogging I have considered deleting the blog but I know I would regret it. I use my blog for lookign up recipes all the time.

      Delete
  9. I'm with you on the dried beans. Here in Hawaii they don't keep all that well, and it's a nuisance to go to all the trouble, and then they stay hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia, here in Florida they say it's a good hurricane supply to keep them but not if they turn out hard!!!

      Delete
  10. Such a perfect vegan meal. sounds really delicious. Thanks for thinking of me! I would love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judee, we have been having lots of vegetarin meals lately. Lost weight, blood pressure is down - winner, winner!

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........