Friday, August 25, 2023

One Pot Meal - Ranch Chicken and Rice

With heat indexes constantly in the triple digits I like to prepare something which doesn't require the oven.  Why add more heat to the kitchen - find a one-pot stove top dish to slap together. 

Here is a good recipe which is fast, easy and utilizes only one pan.  This ranch chicken and rice was on the table in 40 minutes from start to finish.  That includes prep and all you need is a skillet. * Jinjer, you can make this in your cute pink hotpot!


The magazine is called Delish and this is a repeat of their popular chicken dinner publication. So far I have tried three recipes from this magazine and all have been successful. Don't you hate it when something doesn't turn out and you followed the directions? This magazine appears to actually test the recipes. 



Ranch Chicken and Rice
Delish Chicken Dinners magazine - 2022

4 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
salt and pepper
1 cup Ranch dressing
2 TB extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 cup white rice
1 cup baby spinach
3/4 cup chopped parsley

In a large mixing bowl, season chicken with salt and pepper.  Add ranch dressing and marinate at least 5 minutes.  * I dumped the chicken in a freezer bag and put it in the fridge for an hour.

Heat large skillet and add olive oil.  Pat some of the ranch dressing off the chicken. Sear the chicken skin side down until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate, cover to keep a bit warm. Reduce heat and add garlic and onion, about 2 minutes.

Stir in broth and rice. Season with more salt and pepper per your taste.  Return chicken to rice mixture, skin side up.  Simmer until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through.  This will take approx. 20 minutes.

Stir in baby spinach and parsley and serve.

Next up is the slow cooker rotisserie recipe #winner

Linking with Marg at The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking.


20 comments:

  1. This sounds so good! My family isn't big on chicken thighs, but maybe I can convince them to try this. Thanks, Tina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, this magazine has many recipes we have tried and enjoyed. We are big fans of the thighs here :-)

      Delete
  2. I have noticed this magazine and will have to take a second look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the Chicken Dinner edition. Everything we've made comes out well!

      Delete
  3. these type of recipes are so convenient and perfect for this hot weather. I'll bet the ranch dressing adds a nice flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judee, the ranch does indeed add to the flavor and it's so easy! I bet you in PA. now and avoiding this heat :-)

      Delete
  4. My kind of dinner, and it does look delish! Like you say turning the oven on is avoidable, also use of air fryer or slow cooker, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia, the ranch dressing gives a great flavor to the rice.

      Delete
    2. It does! However, as per usual, I made a few Hawaiian style substitutions! One being breadfruit (of course) in place of the rice and chaya (a South American type spinach) for the more “normal” spinach. Came together beautifully and we’ll be having the leftovers tonight.

      Delete
  5. Sounds good but I'm not a fan of garlic so would either leave it out or cut back on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, maybe this isn't a recipe for you. Garlic adds to it.

      Delete
  6. I need to try this magazine. I want to find some new recipes. I'm kind of bored with what I have and seem to do the same few recipes off Pinterest. I would switch to chicken breasts just because my family of weirdos won't eat dark meat but the rest sounds fantastic! We are big garlic fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, not all magazines have a good ratio of recipes I want to try so, too expensive to buy. I get them from the library to test drive them. This one on chicken recipes has been a winner!!

      Delete
  7. You had me at chicken and ranch, but seeing my name pop up made me almost do a spit-take. LOL!!!!! This recipe sounds DELICIOUS so I will try it!!! I love chicken thighs, I love ranch, I love rice, I love garlic, I love spinach. My adorable pink hotpot can handle about 3 cups of liquid so the 2 cups + a couple of chicken thighs should work just fine! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jinjer, I love your comments :-) I hope you like this one, it's a winner and we are trying to Not overdo this one. I think the ranch melding with the rice makes it so moist and flavorful.

      Delete
    2. I'm excited to try it as soon as this heat wave passes. Even standing over a tiny little pink hotpot would be TOO MUCH when it's 99F. Hahahahaha. But at least I have everything on hand to make it except for the spinach!!!

      Delete
  8. Your experience with this magazine is a good recommendation. Recipe testing used to be expected as the responsibility of any publication with recipes, but times change and expectations aren't met. I avoid using recipes from sources that aren't well-known, unless the recipe is really simple and predictable.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I have had plenty of fails from respected magazines such as Southern Living and so, I tread carefully when trying a new one. Everything we have made for this one has been good.

      Delete
  9. This looks easy and delicious. I need to find this magazine... great recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........