Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Parramore's Restaurant - Blountstown Florida

A coworker mentioned that there is a little place in Blountstown that serves up some good fried catfish. Little catfish. Medium catfish. Big platters....it's real southern cooking in a laid back atmosphere.

Every bike trip doesn't have to be an eating trip but, why not. In this case, we set out specifically to find this tiny place. It's not on the main drag but down a small road, turn by Movie gallery. Seems like poor directions to tell someone to turn by Movie Gallery but really....if you are driving through you will definitely understand. And you'll find the restaurant. Promise ;-)

As you can see, it doesn't look like a swanky place from the outside. The sign is propped up behind the post from which it had previously perched. Behold.....







The menu offers what it's famous for - fried catfish. The plate was heaped with small fish. Appropriately served with cole slaw and cheese grits.



Since I'd had way too much fried food just the day before, I opted for a grilled chicken sandwich.



The slaw was the good, finely cut type with just the right amount of mayonnaise and sweetness. I am not a southerner, although I've lived down south for many many years, so I'm far from being expert on the perfect catfish platter. Husband gives this place a big thumbs up...would like to come back and have more.

Evidently, this is how the fish should look after ingestion.






Mine always looks like the dog's dinner after I've taken a knife and fork to it. No matter...I had grilled chicken which I will say was very tender.

The tabletop is an assortment of local advertisements, one of which demands sharing........ simply by it's uniqueness.

Hoot Crawford, Criminal Defence Attorney and Horse Rancher.
This attorney will defend you for DUI (obviously) and other sundry charges you'd expect such as narcotic possession, burglary but also...cattle rustling. I like the personal touches of these type ads.



This was also on the table.......it's akin to a scene from The Restaurant at the End of the Universe; as if it's smiling and saying "Try the me. I'm delicious"




This was in the parking lot...... note the State Farm Insurance logo on each end of the sign.



Ready to go...........






The service was good, the food was great and the ride was a blast.

I love small towns.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, the catfish looks delicious! Yeah, there often is great local cuisine in small towns, eh? I had great BBQ in a tiny Alabama town and it was to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I do, too...you can find some little gems tucked away! That catfish plate looks delicious :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny picture! Looks like cartoons, your "cats" have left clean bones! And yes, I would have opted for grilled whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The small towns have great food...most of the time. I'd love to try a 5 star Michelan rated restaurant sometime...a tasting menu....but homestyle cooking is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been by there, but use to think that was a night club for people, if thats the same place that's been there for a while. There is a little restaurant in the middle of Orlando that has wild catfish that a guy from Sanford sells to them. That makes all the difference, farm raised is quite bland, but hey, you don't have to clean them! Funny too, because I just did catfish last night, and I was just struggling with the pix!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Southern Grace - I didn't realize you were so close by! Oh, I sympathize...I spent about 4 hours Thursday morning trying to negotiate Flickr and editing photos. Grrrr...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........