Friday, November 13, 2009

Hextall

A few weeks back I wrote about my cat going off and missing for awhile. I had almost given up hope of him returning and lo and behold, 5 days later he showed up yelling to come in, starved down to a skinny gray mess of fur.



Well, he disappeared again 2 weeks ago. Last night when we were walking the dogs a young lady who lives about quarter mile from us pulled off and asked if we had a cat. She let us know that she found a cat, hit by a car, and yes he was gray. And it was 2 weeks ago, just after Hex disappeared. So, I finally have closure on what happened to him.

He had always come home, always slept close by, always sat in my lap when I had coffee every morning for the last 16 years.



Other cat owners and even our vet tech said when cats get old they will sometimes just wander off to be alone in their final hours. That was the scenario I had thought was likely since he is old. He'll be missed.

Cheers Hextall.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. It's never easy when you lose a pet. They truly are family. From the pictures, it looks like he was truly loved and I'm sure he knew it (in his own kitteh way).

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad Tina! and am so sorry to hear of this....

    Its also difficult to hear that he wanted to be alone in his last days... I have been a dog person all my life, but am now thinking a lot about getting a kitten for the girls next year... my only apprehension is how independent cats are by nature... and worry it would break their hearts if it were to simply wonder off like that...

    Eitherway, Hextall was loved by lovely people... which is what matters most. ~ ~ ~ Hugs ~ ~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet little kitty looks just like my Jezebel...she's old too...

    so sorry you've lost a loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Pierce, I am so sorry to hear this! I feel so devastated for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, all of you, for the kind thoughts. It really means alot to me. He really was more than a pet but then, any animal in our house is family. I had planned to bury him when he died... so that sucks that I can't.

    Nat - not all cats are aloof and I've found that most of the cats we've had over the years are quite affectionate. Your girls may really enjoy a kitty ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear this! That's just one of those things you never want to hear. You have had some crazy things going on lately. I hope that things slow down for you. I'm wishing you a relaxing and comforting weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm so sorry :( Raising my glass (...bottle) to Hextail :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww noooo - so sad to lose a pet *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about your sweet kitty - here's to you Hextall ::clink:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim, Girichef, Laquet and Martha - thank you so much. It takes me awhile to get over losing one. Thanks for thew toasts!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........