Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Brownie’s Sweet Pickles for 2-for-Tuesday

Do I have your attention with this photo? Would you be thinking, "Seriously...she's eating deviled eggs and washing them down with wine and is trying to pass this all off for the Real Food theme?!"



Don't be too quick to judge because I have a very nice story for you and yes, it's about Real Food.

Let me take you back in time for Two for Tuesdays. Years before blogging, computers, convenience foods……….back to a time when great grandmother grew many of the vegetables she used to nourish her family.

What you see here is not just a jar of homemade sweet pickles.



You are also looking at a legacy; a tradition brought alive by a young woman named Celia who brings the sweet memories of her childhood into tangible new memories for her husband and son. The young lady has duplicated her great grandma’s recipe. Now I know I would rather eat a pickle from a hand made traditional recipe instead of one from that smart-ass stork with the Brooklyn accent, peddling Vlasic pickles.

A short story: Celia’s great grandmother “Brownie” grew cucumbers and from some of those cukes, she made sweet pickles. From what I’ve been told, the great grandmother was a phenomenal cook but the pickles really stood out as a specialty. When she died five years ago, the homemade jarred gifts from her kitchen were missed by her family (as was great grandmother, obviously).



Celia figured out the correct ratio of ingredients and duplicated Brownie’s recipe. Sharing them with family, watching them enjoy something from their past that brought pleasure to the palate as well as reviving memories of a loved one …… I can’t think of a finer tribute.

I have enjoyed them right from the jar ........


but I also used them in deviled eggs and found them to be a very complimentary addition.



No need to post a recipe for deviled eggs...you know it; just mix the mayo with the yolks, salt and pepper, a pinch of garlic powder....mince some homemade pickle and there you have it! I added a bit of shredded cheddar and smoked paprika. (Well look, I gave the "recipe" anyway)




Oh, and why are these pickles called Brownie’s?
I was told this was the nick-name Celia’s great-grandfather called his wife. I think great-grandmother “Brownie” would be mighty pleased to know her sweet pickles are enjoyed by so many people.

This humble offering is basic real food (our theme at 2 –for-Tuesday) and since I had the pleasure of trying these homemade beauties, I had to share. If you are a sweet pickle fan, I highly recommend them. You're in for a treat!

By the way, these pickles are available for purchase locally in the Tallahassee and Southern Georgia area or through through the mail. Just order via this address:

BrowniesSweetPickles@yahoo.com

Cheers to real food and keeping traditions alive!

24TbadgeGIRLICHEF

23 comments:

  1. I have been searching high and low for a good pickle recipe! Definitely going to try this! Love that it's sweet...I like to have a variety of sweet and salty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sweet pickles and I have been on a boiled egg "kick" lately. Sounds like the perfect recipe for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, Tina! Thank you! Now let me go make your deviled eggs to go with my pickles.... YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet story =) And it fits, perfectly!! I would love to sit down with some of these deviled eggs and a glass of wine! Thanks for sharing with us at 24T this week....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't take my eyes off the deviled eggs. It's been years since I've seen any. Remember the time when deviled eggs showed up at every picnic and family gathering?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joanne - Do like sweet more than salty? I do.

    Janel - I am more of the sweet pickle fan than the dill type. Yum!

    Celia/Watson Family - save a deviled egg for me :-) Glad you liked the story.

    Girlichef - Thanks, I thought it was a cool story. Keeping her great grandmother's recipe alive. Thanks also for the kick in the pants on reading The School of Essential Ingredients!

    Butterpoweredbike: That is a perfect idea for a picnic and hadn't thought about it in quite awhile. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious!!
    Thanks for stopping by to check in. I'm still on my blog break but hope to be back soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Martha - enjoy your break but I look forward to your return :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wow this look great and lovely story

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just happened upon your great blog. Wonderful recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tina, what a lovely post! I really adore how you shared your granny love with us! I adore pickles and red wine and deviled eggs are indeed REAL FOOD! :) thanks for sharing on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! :) alex

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet post and wonderful story. I hope that I have a food legacy like that someday for my family. Thanks so much for sharing this on Two for Tuesdays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. golly, I was hopping for the recipe, I have several recipes for sweet pickles and always on the look out for more.... nothing better than homemade ones from the jar...

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful post. The pickles sound wonderful and I've been looking for a new source where they can be bought. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww I think that is just the sweetest REAL FOOD story I've ever heard! I love sweet pickles...could eat them by the handful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chow and Chatter - Thanks for coming by and your nice comments!

    Moogie - Thanks for coming by and thanks for following!

    Alex, you are too kind :-) Thanks for your very mice comments!

    Bethany, Thank you so much, I appreciate famnily history and this story combined food and the history of a loved one. Thanks for visiting!

    Drick, Sorry...but I bought those from a lady who makes them and I am guessing she's not giving out her great grandmother's recipe. Was thinking of you this evening, were your ears burning?! We had your seafoodm pasta dish again.

    Mary - Thank you! I am actually, having a great day. We just had more deviled eggs with those pickles added.

    Joanne - Let me know if yuy get a jar if these. I am ordering another jar after payday..I agree, lovce sweet pickles!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love any kind of pickle - we're brining and then pickling walnuts this summer ... delicious with cheddar cheese!

    Mrs L

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mrs L - Later on...would you tell me how you are doing the brining of walnuts? I'm intrigued,,,

    ReplyDelete
  19. How often do I get to see while reading blogs that a great local food can be purchased locally in Tallahassee :-)

    Love pickles and I think they are an awesome flavor combination with deviled eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey T we're using a really old recipe for the brined, pickled walnuts. It belonged to the lady who looked after me when I was a baby and my Mum went back to work. You have to brine the walnuts which are picked green from the tree and then pickle them in sweetened vinegar. I'll post some photos when we've done them :o)
    Mrs L
    x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Velva, the pickles are so good that I will be buying anther jar. Love to support local businesses!

    Mrs L - I can't wait for the photos! Sounds interesting and I love an old traditional recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just as a bump... for anyone interested in ordering these sweet pickles, you can e-mail me at: Browniessweetpickles.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........