Monday, January 27, 2014

The Chocolate Doctrine

Have you ever known people who are on a perpetual diet? The work mates who peel back a thin plastic covering from their frozen square of Weight Watcher dinners, insert in the microwave and devour a puny portion of (what appears to be) flavorless low-calorie “food?” I work with quite a few individuals who fall into that category.



They eat low calorie snacks and frozen meals, decline the offer of a sweet or serving of homemade lasagna, all in the name of losing some weight. You can actually lose weight eating real food with natural ingredients if you adhere to portion control. I will admit to snacking on some of those chemical laden crackers when I was in weight loss mode several years ago. But now, I would rather have fruit or take in the occasional indulgence when the spirit moves me.

This brings me to brownies. Should you eat them every day? Nooooooo. Is it good to have a treat every blue moon without a side dish of guilt? Why yes. Yes it is.

I don’t want to be that person that denies myself year round only to have the same sized derriere after months of deprivation. You have to live. You need chocolate. I honestly believe that, the chocolate credo….enjoying it now and then can boost your spirit. It’s all about balance and portion control when it’s all said and done.

I adapted Donna Hay’s recipe to use what was on hand because…I really and truly wanted some chocolate goodness with my afternoon coffee!

IHCC Donna Hay Badge resized

Check out blondies, brownies or bar cookies at I Heart Cooking Club this week. Celebrate little victories!

8 comments:

  1. I can't help laughing to myself, Tina. I use to work with people that did the same thing, it's really rather comical sometimes.

    I notice on many blogs and Pinterest boards that people are "dieting." Usually though there is one blog post or pinterest board that's simply "there" filled with all sorts of goodies that would never fall into the diet category, lol...

    A girl just needs a brownie every now and again, and I simply go for it! I just may need to make me some brownies right NOW!

    Thanks for sharing, Tina...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The brownie recipe looks super easy. I totally agree with you that you cannot live a lifetime depriving yourself of good things because you do not wart to gain weight. I'm all for portion control and some exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't bake BUT by gosh - they look GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, Louise, we all need a treat now and then!

    Sunita, I agree about exercise too, but I have been a slacker lately :-) we do walk for exercise but it's been poor weather lately so...

    Mrs. L, I like the bakeries and patisseries you have where you live. One of my favs, now closed for quite a while, was called Crusty Bloomers located in Bradford on Avon. Delicious offerings there. Mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good brownie and this one looks easy and delicious! I agree that deprivation doesn't work when it comes to weight loss - moderation is key.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brownies are the perfect occasional indulgence--so rich and chocolatey. They look amazing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brownies are just too good to be missed!
    Yours looks good, and it is calling for a tall glass of cold milk! Yums!

    ReplyDelete
  8. With you 100%, Tina. Life is too short to deprive oneself of the occasional brownie, and yours look delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........