Friday, January 01, 2016

A little Update on reading, eating, watching and more.....
Boots, Gin and Fire

We took off a week during the holidays and just had fun. A few nights we had a fire. Nothing like just sitting by a fire, staring at the flames, sipping a drink........

IMG_5451


Eating
More than I should. But hey, a few holiday indulgences can be forgiven, right? I started to write up meal planning posts and I hope to continue it this upcoming year. A few favorites so far have been Chicken Mozzarella Pasta and a baked ham. The ham leftovers have made a few casseroles and will also go in Split Pea Soup this weekend.

Drinking
G&T for me, please. Hendricks Gin is one of my favorites. Recently Doug noticed that Canada Dry uses high fructose corn syrup. Bummer……I try and avoid that when I can. But the good news is, Fever Tree Tonic does not have additional junky ingredients so we tried it. It’s very good, a bit more expensive but not out of the budget. Doug is more like Don Draper at the bar, making an Old Fashion more often than joining me for a G&T. {except for summer}

IMG_5633


Watching
Not as much as usual….and that’s fine. We canceled our subscription to Netflicks as we were running out of shows to watch. By that I mean, shows that held any interest to us. Since we don’t get any network feed at all we relied on Netflicks to send DVDs. Every movie we had in the lineup had a long or short wait. But the upside is, those movies were available to us via Redbox and our local library.
So….maybe we’ll pick up Netflicks again one day but for now, we are reading more.

No_Escape_(2015_film)_poster

The movies we have watched in the past 3 weeks are Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation {lots of action, well done} , No Escape starring Owen Wilson and Pierce Brosnan and Z for Zachariah.

No Escape was surprising well done. I say that because Owen Wilson is usually in a movie as comic relief but this was action and suspense. It starts a bit slowly and then Bang! Action from then on.

Z for Zachariah is actually a book by Robert O’Brian…. then they made this movie. The ending left me wondering about a certain character and so I googled “how is the movie different from the book” in case they explained it there.

z-for-zachariah-dvd-cover-53

If you’ve a mind to watch it and not read the book, check out this link HERE for the differences. There were Huge differences, so completely off the mark that the only thing in common is the actual title. I was amazed. If you’ve read the book first be prepared for an entirely new story.



Reading
Doug has started reading Tana French’s Dublin Murder Squad series and is immersed in book 4, Broken Harbor. Now he’s ahead of me in the series. I will pick up Broken Harbor after I finish my first Jack Reacher book, The Killing Floor. I just finished That’s Not English by Erin Moore and Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith

TANA


I posted my British Book Challenge wrap-up for 2015 HERE and plan to join in again next year. If anyone is interested, Kirsty at The Overflowing Library is hosting for 2016.

Recreational Pursuits
We have done a bit of riding on our Christmas vacation and it’s been fun. We went to Carrabelle, rode the coastline, up into Georgia for look at Bainbridge and more. The weather hasn’t been particularly cooperative so we’ve ridden less than we would have.

IMG_5606

The gun range is close to our house but the price for annual membership is high so…..we haven’t rejoined yet. We did plan to get out for target practice at the sheriff’s office range in Wakulla but the weather and time played a part in us not completing the mission.


Oh, I picked up a pair of Dan Post boots for a great price! My feet are small and so instead of buying a women's size 7, I fit into a girl's size 5.

IMG_5489

How cool is that?! The identical boots in the adult section were over $100 more so....a winner for me.

IMG_5491

What fun things have you been doing this holiday season? It all ends too soon, don't you think? Then back to work to earn more cash to play. I need to retire....

3 comments:

  1. Simon did good this Christmas - he remembered where to find my Amazon wishlist so I am about to start The Vintage Caper by Peter Mayle - I've loved his previous book.
    Tonight I am trying out a recipe for honey and soy chicken and attempting home cooked 'special fried rice' to accompany it. I'll post on Twitter or Instagram - depending if it's a disaster or not ;)

    Chicken - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/soy_and_honey_chicken_37066
    Rice - https://www.pinterest.com/pin/125678645829537911/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've been having lots of fun! I LOVE those boots!! I have small feet too and sometimes it's hard to find certain types of shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a fan of Peter Mayle too but haven't read any of his work in a while. I have been buried in Tana French's books and just started a Jack Reacher. Very cool Simon found your Amazon list. Thanks for the links!

    Vicki, definitely look in the children section for boots because they are so more affordable. Same boots, lower price.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........