Saturday, March 12, 2016

Pan Bagnat
{A hearty sandwich that's fun to make}

Recently we made Pan Bagnat from Moosewood Cooks at Home. It’s a simple recipe that has so many possibilities – use any seasonal vegetables you like…mix it up!

This sandwich is a breeze to put together, the assembly line of ingredients make it fun for kids to help too (if you are so inclined). Crucial to the success of this sandwich is letting it sit, weighted down, for at least 2 hours. Pan Bagnat means “to bath in oil” so all of the flavors (the garlic, olives, artichokes and tomatoes, etc) press into the bread.



Here’s what you need!

1 baguette
1 garlic clove
olive oil
tomato
cucumber
onion
hard boiled eggs
Marinated artichoke hearts
olives
cheese
salt and pepper
sliced turkey (or leave the meat off to make it all vegetarian)

optional: whatever else sounds good.

Slice bread in half lengthwise but not all the way through. Rub pressed garlic on bread or just slices of garlic if you do not have mushy pressed available. Slather generous amounts of olive oil then layer sliced tomato, cucumber, onions, marinated artichokes and olives. Layer on whatever you like then season with salt and pepper.



Wrap sandwich and place underneath something heavy for a few hours. The book tells you to place it under a heavy book, or bricks or a 25 lb. toddler. I used two heavy books and just put it on a bookshelf.


Slice and serve.




IMG_6129

Linking up to Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sunday Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series.

SouperSundays



Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

12 comments:

  1. That's my favorite Moosewood book -- I've used mine so much it's falling apart. I love that sandwich too; great in the summer with a cold beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a delicious sandwich. Very appetizing -- unless you leave it under a toddler. Then not so much!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! This sandwich looks and sounds delecious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Moosewood cookbooks, but don't remember ever seeing this recipe. It looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How have I never heard of Pan Bagnat?!

    I guess I need to find a copy of the much beloved Moosewood cookbook and try it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favorite Moosewood cookbooks too, but I've never tried this sandwich. It sounds delicious! Am going to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds delicious, and much better than a Sub sandwich. I've never done that weighting down technique, will have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I avoid bread generally but this is tempting. Cheers from Carole's Chatter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Moosewood books! I can always find a recipe that inspires me in one of them--like this fabulous sandwich. I love how all of the flavor is pressed into the bread.

    Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure about the hard boiled egg but I'm willing to give it a try. The sandwich looks amazing! I haven't really tried any of the Moosewood books but I want too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! It's SPRING BREAK and I really wanted to make something for The Hubs today so he can come home for lunch! This is it! Running to the store now so it can macerate under a "25 lb toddler"?????

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Tina:)
    What an amazing sandwich you have "fed" us today. There isn't anything on this sandwich that I wouldn't love to sink my teeth into! I'm not much of a "sub" person. The New Yorker in me wants to call this a weighed down Hero, lol...But, I've actually heard of this sandwich before but I'm not sure where. No problem, you have brought it to my attention once again and this time I'm sure to remember it because, I'll be pinning!

    Thanks so much for sharing, Tina...

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........