Friday, March 08, 2019

Baked Potato Soup

Baked potato soup with a healthy twist.  Well, except the bacon topping 😏

8D9EB273-3DB9-437D-A899-B62533DC0C4E


On a cool day a homemade bowl of soup and a grilled cheese sandwich is just the ticket. Healthy, economical and absolute comfort food.


BF2FAF7C-142B-4DD1-838F-FA1C8F938951

This is another recipe I tried from SkinnyTaste. You use potatoes and cauliflower for the base. now the toppings are to your preference and we used bacon, cheese and scallions.

·        Here is the recipe from the SkinnyTaste site.


Baked Potato Soup

2 medium russet potatoes, washed and dried
1 small head of cauliflower  (3 1/2 cups or 16 ounces), stem removed cut into florets
1 1/2 cups  chicken broth
 1 1/2 cups 1% reduced-fat milk
       salt and freshly cracked black pepper
       1/2 cup light sour cream
 shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    6 tbsp chopped chives, divided (I used scallions)
3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (you can use turkey bacon if you prefer)
DIRECTIONS
.     Pierce potatoes with a fork; microwave on high for 5 minutes turn over and microwave another 3 – 5 minutes, until tender. Or if you prefer to use your oven, bake at 400 F for 1 hour or until tender. Cool. Peel potatoes.
     Meanwhile, steam cauliflower with water in a large covered pot until tender. Drain and return to pot.
 On medium heat, add chicken broth, milk, potatoes and bring to a boil.
     Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. Add sour cream, half the chives, salt and pepper and cook on low another 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

 Top each serving with cheese, remaining chives/scallions and bacon.


Sharing this soup and grilled cheese with Souper Sunday at Kahakai Kitchen this week.
Check out Deb's Sour Lentil Soup  this week.







14 comments:

  1. Skinnytaste recipes are a big hit around here. I'll need to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flavor combination sounds good. Somehow I think the recipe could be made more simply if you cooked the vegetables in the pot with the milk. Does microwaving a potato really improve its flavor over simmering? The texture can't be important because you are zapping it into puree anyway. Just wondering.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. JoAnn, I have enjoyed all of the recipes so far. The latest book she has out is very good.

    Mae, you are correct. I could actually boil the potatoes, not the big Idaho sort, and mix it up. I’ll be fiddling with this recipe in the future as it was a good taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicki, this is a good version. I love the cauliflower in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love potato soup and your choice of toppings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to making some soups now that we're home! This sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. just checked my cupboards (don't want to go out if I don't have to) and have canned clams, so chowder might be on tonight's menu.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When shall I come over??? This looks sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're still having pretty cool weather (for Hawaii) and this sounds like the perfect meal. Very comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder if the baking makes a difference to the taste... May have to experiment. Cheers from carole's chatter

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! This looks delicious. I love potato soup and grilled cheese so the combination of the two looks like the perfect dinner. I need to really try the Skinny Taste recipes. I'm not sure how I've skipped her but I have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks really yummy--I love a good potato soup.
    Thanks for sharing with Souper Sundays. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the combo of potatoes and cauliflower. You cannot have baked potato soup without the bacon. Are you kidding? :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........