Sunday, February 02, 2020

Camping at St George Island

We are back from our second camping trip in just under 3 weeks.  But I wanted to write about St George Island first. I took so many photos it was hard to pick just a few.  

St George Island is a beautiful place and the park is small and quiet. Unfortunately I may be allergic to noseems/midges as I end up with a rash so bad it looks like I have measles. Seriously attacked this last time and we may need to avoid that park.

715445DE-B646-4A55-B7A6-D940BDC4465E


When we arrived we set up quickly, Doug and i have this down to a science. We had bought a camp kitchen and the gas stove fits there perfectly. It is fun cooking outside when we can. Well....before we could get dinner going we noticed the fridge had powered off and out surge protector wasn't on. If the surge protector gave its life protecting the electrical in the camper then it did its job. Turns out a transformer blew up and no one in the park had electricity. This aggravated the sports minded folks as they were planning on watching a football game. Mass exodus as they headed out to a sports bar on the island.

We still made dinner using flashlights for illumination and a gas stove and grill. Piece of cake! It was nice to hear the gulf waters and see the beautiful dark skies filthy with stars. Electric crews arrived and fixed it all by midnight.

We saw alligators and birds.  This guy was out sunning when we walked by.  Some of these photos made it to my Instagram account so some of you may have seen these already.

9ABFC71D-8BA2-4350-A267-970CB7AE6589


Check out my little fold up kitchen here.

6127AE98-2409-4902-8EB6-B4EB78735E1F

Raft the asparagus for grilling using a skewer. No more stalks falling through a grill grate!

DD6C28C3-9943-4540-80F3-4384DF60D34C

Doug grills the meats and veggies on this gas grill. This thermometer is very cool, digital and folds up.  He bought it off Amazon.

42326F4E-CAD2-4595-BB70-1535A9D4070D

Camping tablecloth for the picnic bench.

C0DA6C3D-FCEE-4BFF-9BA4-B970AE78F0FA

This is the first time we ever saw someone walking a goat when we were camping. He was quite a hit.


70836337-8431-490C-B7B3-E245C43561FD 8B250C75-6EC9-4EDC-9AEB-B126E9EF0C9E

This bird is one we couldn't identify.  He was mostly a deep gray with a black Mohawk.  Then we saw what we think are towhee birds.  Beautiful colors.  There was a pair that liked our campsite very much and stayed close by.

6EAEECA1-AC54-468D-B1C6-25CDE2EADA50 E87C8A08-6719-4948-96A5-13F8EFBFF76D

Despite the electric going out and the rotten noseeums we had a good time.  It's a relaxing park and gorgeous scenery.  We met a lot of very nice people on this trip too.

Here's my favorite person 

896D9B8D-5EED-44D5-A849-87AFDCA86F90

I'll be joining Sherry for the In My Kitchen event soon.  See ya later!

5 comments:

  1. Glad you didn't let having no power ruin your stay, and glad they got it fixed so quickly. Neat little kitchen you have there and I love that cute tablecloth!

    I LOVE that the man is walking a goat, hilarious, and so cute!

    Good shot of Doug and the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s funny about all the campers who only wanted to watch TV.

    Best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a good trip despite the challenges! Noseeums can be a real bother... one of my daughters has a horrible time with them. Once in a while, they keep us entirely off the beach. We have one of those thermometers for grilling, too - so handy. Unfortunately, it's still in storage until the remodel is complete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a good trip! It's beautiful there. And that goat! Too cute! I know what you mean about having the unpacking routine down to a science. We can unpack a hotel room in minutes though I know that's not nearly as complicated as RV unpacking/setting up. I'm sorry to hear about the allergic reaction though I can relate. I swell up like crazy when I get bitten by ants or mosquitoes. I got two ant bites on my foot last fall and couldn't wear shoes for a week. Hopefully you're feeling better now - Benadryl and cortizone cream are your friends if you're not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love your fold up camping kitchen! so cute and so handy. great photos of the birds etc.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........